SEROW FRENZY

fritz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
North Yorkshire - but the map isn't the territory
Seemed a shame to miss out of the good weather, and knowing JohnnyBoxer had recently taken collection of one of finest machines known to man we met for a ride out in the Dales. Now I’ve not done a huge amount of riding in the Dales as I generally found it a bit ‘busy’. Due to my new found leisure time (redundant, nearly a year now) and a pass-out from Bev here was an opportunity to have a ride around when there should be fewer folk (ignoring the unemployed and OAPS of course).

My Serow is white…it says so on the log-book! It is flashed with ‘magenta’ which seems to lead to some confusion amongst many of my ‘friends’ (and wife!). Many people are under the misunderstanding that it is ‘pink’…oh for goodness sake. Anyway, luckily I had an old ‘magenta’ sheepskin sat around doing nowt so I cut it down for use on the bike. As it was a scorcher I negated the safety wear and stuck a pair of flares and my olde worlde dainese racing gloves on and set out for Johnny’s. Unfortunately my camera was set on some small file size so the pics are a bit poor.

As those of you that know Sir John of Boxer will be well aware he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of green lanes and trails, no maps (certainly no electrickery) just superb recall and memory.

First picture up on Witton Moor – there was a nice chalk message on the gate we came through ‘who keeps leaving this gate open’…not us! Beautiful long trails took us down into Wensleydale and on towards Leyburn. Not before John took us up a trail I’ve never seen before in me life, ridden past it a million times, a narrow gap with overhanging branches and lots of rocks and loose stones in a bit of a trench that all combined to make an interesting route popping up just before Leyburn itself. A quick fill up for John and cold water all round.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 319
Next West Witton to West Burton for a trail I last rode with John when we were prospecting for the UKGSers Hawes do (2004 or something???). I remember there was a trials event on and they looked on in amazement as we rode past on the 100 2-up. To be honest I’m a bit surprised we rode the route on the big bike as it seemed more technical than I’d want to take me BM 2-up on – maybe I’m getting old! Anyway a great long lane. You’d get the impression all the lanes have gone, but not by a long shot…yet.

A stop in Thoralby for lunch led to the other side of things. John remembered many routes out, but sadly we discovered the flip side of the coin, post NERC the routes were no more, not worth the risk.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 309
More pleasingly for me was the number of (popular) lanes I had not previously ridden that are still open further up Bishopdale, Stake Allotments. Featured in many a GS ride up, but up 'til today unridden by me (surprisingly).

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 311
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 313
It’s a welcome surprise to discover a sign saying ‘yes’ to trail riding, lets hope it stays that way. Up on top a sign with 3 legs all pointing to legal byways – only place I’ve previously seen that is the Isle of Man. Very welcome, and let’s hope it stays that way.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 311
The weather stayed stunning, and there were no nimbys about. Well, lets face it, they aren’t usually nimbys anyway – most of the frickin ramblers aren’t locals. I walk, run, MTB, cycle and road and off road ride all ‘my’ local areas so feel rather annoyed by the insular selfishness of many ‘countryside users’. Share the love people.

Anyway we did meet a group on the trail…3 more Serow riders. Over from the Lakes and a rum old bunch. They were mightily impressed by the ‘magenta’ Serow and matching sheepskin…well that’s how I read it. One was 70 and still out there enjoying the day, marvellous stuff. So 5 Serows in one spot. The ideal bike.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 312
Continuing round we rode the old roman road out of Bainbridge. A couple of MTBers smiled at the sight of 2 fully grown fellahs on such small bikes. Last time I rode here was heading downhill on a fully rigid MTB and I scared myself ****less as I gained speed and realised I couldn’t let go of the grips to grab the brakes, bloody scary! So far as trail riding that was years before that. I’d taken my R80/7 up there before the big girls bike GS range came along. Not ideal for it – and Bev was suffering from shingles too…did I mention it was 2-up? Ah, the old days.

Attachments

• Resize of Resize of 7.JPG
    Resize of Resize of 7.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 311
The descent towards Gayle saw the Serow speedo edge past 120kph – I think Johnny had a slight advantage. I came down here on said same MTB at 54mph. It’s a hill and a half, and the odd stray sheep to keep the blood pressure raised.

After a cuppa at the café in Hawes (and picking up some cheese at the creamery) it was home bound and time to relive the hayday of the 70’s and the 50 and 125 racing. Trying to keep a Serow fast on the open road is like re-imagining Ángel Nieto. Carrying speed is everything. No slowing down for bends (well, not blind ones obviously) and just trying to ride flat out everywhere. Its bloody great fun and something you just can’t do on any of the GS’s – be far to fast and dangerous. What a laugh we had acting like delinquent teenagers out dragging or slipstreaming each other. I was mightily impressed that both Serows were evenly matched – even though there is a ‘small’ difference in our builds and weights. Serows are simply just so much fun, there should be a national racing class for these things. As a final aside, the sheepskin worked a treat, in over 180kms I suffered no discomfort – which certainly can’t be said for the seat on its own. I believe white ones are just as good!

Great day Johnny – loved it!

Superb report, we had a great day out:thumb................nice to take you to a lot of places, you haven't been to for a change:p

Temperature was high @ 27c, but what the heck and rode some of my favourite lanes

I'm gonna be doing loads more and by chance on Sat, I bumped into an old mate from TRF in Helmsley on Sat and we chatted about doung some trailriding over the winter

JB on a Serow - where did you put your knees?

I've decided to keep my Serow so if you decide to sell it in the future, I'm open to buying a "spare" one.

Ok Elle, she's an ok bile, t&t for 12 months. Currently in a cafe in the Picos & the weather is fab - 29c! Wish I had the serow for some trails

Ok Elle, she's an ok bile, t&t for 12 months. Currently in a cafe in the Picos & the weather is fab - 29c! Wish I had the serow for some trails

Lucky you!

Surely you could have put the Serow under your jumper!

Ride safe :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom