Bit of help please

The smudger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you definately need the HD suspension air pump for the AIR rear suspension on the Road King?

The guy at the dealer said yes, but it looks like a std shrader valve to me?

Also, a good reliable wheel re-furbishment company?

With the BMW air suspension you can use a pedal cycle air suspension pump, even though the valve is a schrader you cant use normal pumps or compressed as the air needs putting in slowly as not to blow the seals.
Would imagine HD is the same but ime sure a more knowledgable person will be alon shortly:thumb

I'd reckon that any pump designed for bike air suspension should be fine...

Can't see any reason why it'd have to be a Harley one... :augie

You're right it is a Shraeder valve but the HD pump has a pressure gauge on it. I suspect a car tyre type pump would put the air in with too much oomph. I have one of the pumps (fella I bought bike from let me have it) and after using it I can't imagine any other working due to the low volume required. Have a look on Ebay. I've seen them on there regularly. Or if you can wait a few months I'll be changing my shocks so will sell the pump. (Sorry to tell you this but the standard shocks are shite).

I really dislike air suspension...

I've got Hagon shocks on the back of my FLHS & they're excellent.

That's good to hear as that is what I was think of getting. I've had a Hagon monoshock before and that was fine. Not much point shelling out on Ohlins and the like on a touring HD in my opinion as it's never going to handle like an R1 whatever shock you use. Which model did you get out of interest?

Not much point shelling out on Ohlins and the like on a touring HD in my opinion as it's never going to handle like an R1 whatever shock you use

:bow:bow:D:D:D:D:bow:bow

Millions of Americans can't be wrong can they? The one i'm getting rode well?

Lots of different opinions are good to hear though. I like Halfwit's reply, a HD is a HD.........

That's good to hear as that is what I was think of getting. Which model did you get out of interest?

Would have to check, but they're nuthin' fancy :D

Just a standard coil spring shock, very little to go wrong :thumb2

And because they're behind the saddlebags, who cares what they look like :augie

Does anyone know if you definately need the HD suspension air pump for the AIR rear suspension on the Road King?

The guy at the dealer said yes, but it looks like a std shrader valve to me?

Also, a good reliable wheel re-furbishment company?

We use the Scott Pro600 Shock Pump for the Fournales Air Shocks - if the HD shock uses a Shrader valve and you don't need more than 600psi/40 bar - then this will work fine - and a lot cheaper as well :thumb

1288972865-93546100.jpg

I use a standard cycle pump,the one with the flex pipe and a seal in at the end that screws on, But you will need a low gauge to test the pressure,

:bow:bow:D:D:D:D:bow:bow

Millions of Americans can't be wrong can they? The one i'm getting rode well?

Lots of different opinions are good to hear though. I like Halfwit's reply, a HD is a HD.........

No, they aren't that bad, certainly when riding solo. I find when 2 up especially with luggage they bottom out easily. However mine is the 2005 Road King Custom which is 1" lower at the back than yours (shorter shocks) so that's not going to help either.
Ultimately HD's don't have much travel on the rear end so it's all a bit of a trade off. You may find it fine. I can't imagine it's something you'll feel you'll need to upgrade immediately.

My bro-in-law had a carbed RoadKing and If I remember the air pressure was very low (>10psi?) in the rear units. We used a foot pump gently to inflate.

Back
Top Bottom