DIY Servicing

RobC

Hi All,
Can anyone answer this question for me?

If the 6,000 mile service is just an oil and filter change can I do this myself and have BMW stamp the service book for me?

Emoto said:
I don't see a manual there. How do you get to it?

Open the URL in your browser and do a search for CDA09677 on the page (on IE6 go to Edit | Find (on this page)... ) it shows R1200GS service manual on CD

This (CDA09677) sounds like the official BMW repair CD - 01 79 0 309 677

I was expecting something like a "Haynes" manual and this isn't it - however it looks as though it will be useful (the more info the better :) , but I haven't actually had to use it "for real" yet.

RobC said:
Hi All,

If the 6,000 mile service is just an oil and filter change can I do this myself and have BMW stamp the service book for me?

Don't know about the 1200 but on the 1150 a 6,000 mile service is alot more than oil and filter change. Things like valve clearances, Throttle adj/play, Checking all fluid levels and Reading the fault code memory amongst other things. It may also invalidate your warranty if you do it youself.

:beerjug:

Russ said:
Open the URL in your browser and do a search for CDA09677 on the page (on IE6 go to Edit | Find (on this page)... ) it shows R1200GS service manual on CD

Oh, thanks. I misunderstood. I thought we could download it from the page. Didn't realise that it was being sold. Sorry.

Re: Re: DIY Servicing

finglonger said:
Don't know about the 1200 but on the 1150 a 6,000 mile service is alot more than oil and filter change. .... Reading the fault code memory amongst other things. ...
:beerjug:

You got me worried now :( , was thinking of having a go at my servicing once the 2 year warranty expires on the 1150.

Not so sure now :confused:

RobC said:
Hi All,

only if you are shagging the service manager!

no service (by them) no stamp!

Re: Re: Re: DIY Servicing

Alte Wolf said:
You got me worried now :( , was thinking of having a go at my servicing once the 2 year warranty expires on the 1150.

Not so sure now :confused:

Reading the fault code memory ....... I don't think you need wory too much as most cars have these too, including mine and I have serviced it ever since I have owned it to no ill effect. I will be doing most things on the bike myself also to save money.
But with the new fangled engine management system on the 1200 I would think it probably needs doing to keep check on things.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: DIY Servicing

But with the new fangled engine management system on the 1200 I would think it probably needs doing to keep check on things.

You're right - it does.
Re someone elses quote re sevice book stamp. Is that neck or what!!!! Why should the dealer put his name to someone elses work when he's had to invest time & money in training and workshop equipment for someone to ask that. Wouldn't that also contravene trade descriptions when the bike is sold by the previous owner as having a full dealer service asuming he got somebody daft enough to do it:shoot:

Back
Top Bottom