Learning to Off Road.. a few questions and some advice, please..?

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

At the tender age of 39, and turning the big four-o after Christmas I'm starting to think about trying to do some off-roading.

I did the BMW Off-Road school a couple of years back and enjoyed it, though that was really more for the benefit of getting better grips on my 12GSA (which I like as a road bike before I get all of the quips about 1200 riders and that :D )

At the weekend was off on a trip and was chatting to a chap that did some light trails on the 1200 and that got me thinking.

A few q's then, if you will.

1) Am I too old? Physically I am in 'reasonable' nick (I think, touch wood).

2) Is my weight a big deal? I'm not a lightweight at 21.5 stone. Think I might sink a bit in the mud.

3) Have a 12GSA as mentioned. I figure from above there are suitable light trails for the beastie somewhere?.. though don't have TKC's or owt like that to hand.

4) I live on the Essex side of things just inside the M25. I'm taking it that the Lahndahn thing would be somewhat of a disadvantage. Are there places near this part of the world suitable?

5) If I were to look for a more focused bike, but still wanted it for the road too, what might you recommend?

Any other pointers and that would be very helpful..

Cheers,
Rob :thumb

Lose some weight and join your local TRF:thumb

No offence:beerjug:

Afternoon all,

At the tender age of 39, and turning the big four-o after Christmas I'm starting to think about trying to do some off-roading.

I did the BMW Off-Road school a couple of years back and enjoyed it, though that was really more for the benefit of getting better grips on my 12GSA (which I like as a road bike before I get all of the quips about 1200 riders and that :D )

At the weekend was off on a trip and was chatting to a chap that did some light trails on the 1200 and that got me thinking.

A few q's then, if you will.

2) Is my weight a big deal? I'm not a lightweight at 21.5 stone. Think I might sink a bit in the mud.

3) Have a 12GSA as mentioned. I figure from above there are suitable light trails for the beastie somewhere?.. though don't have TKC's or owt like that to hand.

4) I live on the Essex side of things just inside the M25. I'm taking it that the Lahndahn thing would be somewhat of a disadvantage. Are there places near this part of the world suitable?

5) If I were to look for a more focused bike, but still wanted it for the road too, what might you recommend?

Any other pointers and that would be very helpful..

Cheers,

look at big bike rally challenge the come on one our rally taster days

1. No

2. Depends what your idea of off road is, but you could use it as a reason to shed a few lb's.

3. I would fit TKC's even for gentle forest stuff.

4. Don't know, but something like Bake's christmas ride would be a good weekend away to try it on the plain.

5. Without being rude at 20 stone you really aren't going to get on with anything much smaller.

1. No

2. Depends what your idea of off road is, but you could use it as a reason to shed a few lb's.

3. I would fit TKC's even for gentle forest stuff.

4. Don't know, but something like Bake's christmas ride would be a good weekend away to try it on the plain.

5. Without being rude at 20 stone you really aren't going to get on with anything much smaller.

brian eland rides a 450 in rallys ,he is awsomely fast, and he is alot bigger than you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Someone on here will help you out riding as a guide / helper for when yer drop it
YOU WILL DROP IT so dont do it if yer bothered about a scratch or ten
Before yer go "Off Tarmac"
get some protective gear and boots that protect
Yer never too old I am 89
Choose easy first the work yer way up to the next stage

Dont go out in a big group firstly as you will try harder than yer ability and try not to slow folk down see 1 above

Tkcs seem to be the choice of the stars on here
Thetford area is cool sandy and thats soft get a guide maybe
Surrey used to have loads of "lanes" I think now some have been shut
get a guide again
DONT GO OUT ON YER OWN FER FOOOKSAKE :rob

HTHY and it dont fritten yer off if good fun

You're not too old
You're not too big
You can ride trails on what-ever bike you like, some will be easier to get on with than others.

As mentioned on this thread. Go out with others or get some refresher training but don't go on your own. My first off-road foray was 7 years ago on my 1150. Got stuck, tried to turn it around - took an hour to get out from the lane in fading light - was only a mile long lane too :blast

I currently ride a much lighter bike and find it more suitable, faster and a lot more fun - others will probably disagree but at the end of the day it is down to you and what you want to do. Big bikes can handle the tough terrain it is just whether the riders can pilot them through or not. Decent tyres count for a lot - TKC80 would be a minimum requirement unless you are on relatively hard packed trails.

To find the best lanes for a beginner, I would get down to your local TRF meeting - Or come along down to Salisbury plain - plenty of hard packed trails for a novice to get the feel of their bike. If you are worried about holding people up then PM me, and I will show you around.

There is only one big problem - Once you start enjoying it, it never ends - you'll end up buying bits / kit / possibly new bikes / entering Rallies, Entering enduros H&H ........ list goes on...

There is only one big problem - Once you start enjoying it, it never ends - you'll end up buying bits / kit / possibly new bikes / entering Rallies, Entering enduros H&H ........ list goes on...

You make it sound like such a hardship :D

Cheers for the replies chaps, very useful. :beerjug:

1) Encouraging that I'm not over the hill quite yet :rob :D

2) Not too heavy then it would seem, but it's a good shout about using it as a motivator to lose a few lbs, it's a bit overdue.

3) Noted, will investigate on the TKC front. Not bothered about dropping the bike, hey, its got all that protection for a reason, right..

4) Think I'll check out the TRF meeting locally, then. Are there any Essex TRF Tossers around this parish then?

5) I'll start with the 1200 and see how it goes. I can see there'll be limitations to it, mostly me, but as well pointed out DollyR I daresay I'll be raiding the piggy bank in the future :eek

Gotcha re the protective gear, Mick. Now got a pair of GS boots. Just need to work out how to get the feckers on :)

Cheers folks,

oohh it is , i am 55 years old ,and dont regret one single day !!!!!!!!!!!!
just riding road bikes is so boring in comparison

Now that's what I'm talking about :cool:

You are not to old.

I am 48 and did the TAT as my first proper off road this year.

You are not unfit - OK I am only 16 stone but with various injuries (damaged back - I displaced vertebrate playing rugby and damaged discs) and having had multiple broken bones (gave up counting when I passed 20) I had no problem.

Yes you will fall off, yes wear good protection (being in the main quite stupid I didn't and took a chunk out of my arm and went a nice shade of purple over various parts).

Personally I would get a smaller bike and go for it, join a club, ride with others (it helps as when they eventually stop laughing when you fall off they can pick you up).

You only live once, might as well try everything you can before you go - I had a brilliant time and plan to go offroad a lot more having discovered it.

Back
Top Bottom