Final drive failure

Alcat

No service bulletin, just noticed a wobble coming out of corners when I was in France, the play at the rim was only 5mm or so.
God knows how some owners never noticed when their play was more than an inch!
It seems suspicious that my BMW dealer had a complete final drive unit waiting on the shelf.. Which only fits the GS, a bike that was only launched less than six months ago...
The wheel was the problem, BMW insist that it's replaced at the same time, but there are no spare ones in the UK. They pinched one of a new (ordered) GS that came in to the dealers earlier than expected.
Other probs that were fixed at the same time, was the fuel gauge and injection mapping.
Have any other owners got a solution for the annoying windscreen vibration when pulling hard under load?

Hi Alcat

You need new front mounting bracket pins, this is a common fault with the 1200, its a warranty job, get your dealer to sort it out for you while hes doing all the other work.

Regards Paul

Solve Winscreen vibration 1200GS

The reason the windscreen vibrates particularly under load when accelerating is because the two black pins that the sceen pivots on wear as they are plastic and the housing they go into is metal
(poor design) this causes the screen to move from side to side, if you get hold of the screen on each side, from the front of the bike you will find you can move it from side to side.

If you take the pins out and place a small rubber o ring over each pins shaft, and push up until it butts up against the top of the shaft and then re insert the pins into their housings and re attach the winscreen your problem should be solved. PS you may have to fiddle a bit to screww in the screws to re attch the screen to the black pins.

My dealer Rainbow in Rotherham gave me the O rings, and fit these to all new bikes before they go out to customers.

Regards GSman1

They also sell stabilisers for the 1200 Martyn -just incase you fall off again. Part number 71 99 0 456 896

Re: Solve Winscreen vibration 1200GS

gsman1 said:
The reason the windscreen vibrates particularly under load when accelerating is because the two black pins that the sceen pivots on wear as they are plastic and the housing they go into is metal
(poor design) this causes the screen to move from side to side, if you get hold of the screen on each side, from the front of the bike you will find you can move it from side to side.

If you take the pins out and place a small rubber o ring over each pins shaft, and push up until it butts up against the top of the shaft and then re insert the pins into their housings and re attach the winscreen your problem should be solved. PS you may have to fiddle a bit to screww in the screws to re attch the screen to the black pins.

My dealer Rainbow in Rotherham gave me the O rings, and fit these to all new bikes before they go out to customers.

Regards GSman1

I replaced my stock pivot pins with nice metal ones from Touratech. They even came with o-rings. I have been told that the stock plastic pins will break if the bike tips over and the windshield hits anything.

Back
Top Bottom