Still got the ABS problem! HELP!

Hornblower

Reaction score
I have posted before about this problem with my R1100GS but it's still a problem even after checking the health of my battery and charging it fully. This is what happens: When I start the bike and *pull away the ABS always fails, I then stop the bike switch off the ignition and then switch it back on again and as I pull away the ABS kicks in - always, without fail. I thought charging up the battery might make the difference but it hasn't and the fact that it always works on the second try is frankly odd. I have also tried waiting longer before I start the bike to make sure that it has run all it's checks, and waiting a while before pulling away but it makes no difference. Anyone any ideas?

Replacing the battery solved this exact same problem on my 1100GS.
The battery that was on it managed to start it always, but must've been tired, it was 8 years and more old, an odyssey, replaced it with a new one and the problem went away. How old is your battery?
Let us know how you get on!:thumb

Replacing the battery solved this exact same problem on my 1100GS.
The battery that was on it managed to start it always, but must've been tired, it was 8 years and more old, an odyssey, replaced it with a new one and the problem went away. How old is your battery?
Let us know how you get on!:thumb

Thanks for the advice, only bought the bike recently so don't know how old the battery is. Which battery did you buy?

I replaced it with another Odyssey battery, a little more expensive but since the previous one lasted so long (still in service by the way powering an electric fence) I thought it worth it. :thumb

No need to spend the money on a new battery if the one you have can start the bike. Just do the abs relay mod, and be done with that issue ;)

Dan.

I too funny enough replaced my battery on my 1998 1100gs when the ABS lights flashed alternately on start up and found it still did it occasionally with the new battery fitted. :mad: I did the reset (under the seat) and the dashboard lights would flash 'together' again ready for the start button to be pressed, oops there they go again alternately flashing. I stumbled on a quick remedy for this by accident. I pressed the ABS disable switch prior to starting the bike on one occasion and the bike would start with one light showing and after five mins the ABS reset itself and functioned without fault. It seems to me the drain from the starter on the battery tips the low voltage protection circuit into action all to easily and disables the ABS. The old battery spun the motor up no problem before I junked it for a new one so it makes me wonder if I'd have thought about the 'quick 5 min without ABS' remedy before I purchased a new battery it could have saved me loads. Obviously if you do try switching off the ABS for five mins, wait for the single light to extinguish before relying on the ABS to function as it should. Re-starting the bike after it had been run never made the ABS error occur again which points again to the battery being the weak link.

You can also disable ABS by keeping the starter button pressed and then switch ignition on ;) It will start the engine and disable your abs ;)

Dan.

Back
Top Bottom