To the Top of Pikes Peak - November

sfarson

Reaction score
If you have ever been on this side of the pond perhaps you have ridden (or driven) this high altitude gem. Maybe if over here in the Colorado Rockies someday this can be on your short list. You've probably heard about the Pikes Peak Hill Climb races. Well, today we ride it on the big twin. In November.

Last time I made the ascent it was for the book I wrote. On that trip two years ago I was greeted with a cold drizzling rain, mud, and a fine sleet/snow mix at the summit. Well, this time conditions were dry, but temps were 15f at the top, and howling and whipping winds almost blasted me over the side! But hey, a multi-year project to pave the entire route is now complete, so despite the frosty scoot... no mud this time. On this November day, it was a lonely journey. And a little brisk. :eek:

So, here is the ride video, along with screen captures from the video, and a few images of the adventure to the top of this 14,115 ft. mountain.

From the entrance to the summit, a 7:31 highlight recording...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9UABooQFCsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sample clips from the video, in order as the ascent is made...

pikesvid1.jpg

pikesvid3.jpg

pikesvid4.jpg

pikesvid5.jpg

pikesvid7.jpg

pikesvid6.jpg

pikesvid9.jpg

During a brisk pause, looking back...
pikeshwy.jpg

Pics of the faithful steed that handled the deep cold and high altitude (50% of the oxygen versus sea level) just fine.
flhxpikespeak.jpg

Sacrificed the fingertips here as the frigid wind howled fiercely through and around the bike...
flhxpikespeak_hdr1.jpg

Fantastic photos great location!!! I've done Mammoth mountain and Mt Washington... Need to add that one to the bucket list!!

Shame they paved it :(

Surprised it was clear in November I would have thought there would be loads of snow at that altitude . I tried to do a few passes around the Denver / Estes area in May a few years back and I could barely get above 9000ft without encountering closed roads . It was fekkin cold riding I70 in the snow up to the Eisenhower at 11,000ft , especially as I came straight from Moab and 5 days in 90 degree heat.

Nice piccies :thumb

Hey thanks all. When not hoppin on the 12GSADV, or that Ducati thing, the legendary bike from Milwaukee always delivers that inimitable experience. Sounds like some of you have scooted the neighborhood over here. I've been to London several times, and almost hired a VFR800 once for a U.K. tour, but the timing didn't work out. Still have hopes to make it happen.

Speaking of neighborhoods, I'm near the South Park area of Colorado, about 120 km's west of Pikes Peak. Very rural and remote here. Little change over the centuries. Big game in the forested mountains, only two traffic signals in 3,600 sq. km's. Good off road, sporting, and cruising country.

flhxsouthparklr_tm.jpg

flhxtarryallcabin_hdr.jpg

im in loughton ,its a bit like colorado,only at sea level, with no scenery, and the ever present threat ,of gettin bit by the wildlife , by wildlife i mean a bull terrier.
or gettin run over by a twat in a blacked out range rover ,on the phone ,or his orange coloured girlfriend doing her nails as she drives through the high street .
not that im jealous or anything ,especially as i was in colorado about three weeks ago.

Hey thanks all. When not hoppin on the 12GSADV, or that Ducati thing, the legendary bike from Milwaukee always delivers that inimitable experience. Sounds like some of you have scooted the neighborhood over here. I've been to London several times, and almost hired a VFR800 once for a U.K. tour, but the timing didn't work out. Still have hopes to make it happen.

Speaking of neighborhoods, I'm near the South Park area of Colorado, about 120 km's west of Pikes Peak. Very rural and remote here. Little change over the centuries. Big game in the forested mountains, only two traffic signals in 3,600 sq. km's. Good off road, sporting, and cruising country.

flhxsouthparklr_tm.jpg

flhxtarryallcabin_hdr.jpg

Well if you want to come over and borrow my GS1150 (you would not want to ride my 16 year old 88,000 mile Glide......) for a look around the UK you would be more than welcome!

Back
Top Bottom