A real life comparisson 1150 / 1200 GS

• The 1200 is better

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • No, the 1150 rules

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peter Harte

STOP PRESS FIRST TIME DOING A POLL SET UP - I REALLY NEED A SIMPLE YES - NO - JOB - BUT I CANT CHANGE IT - SO DONT WASTE YOU TIME COMPLETING IT UNTIL THIS GETS CHANGED

Boys ( and Girls ) I am a confused Puppy - there seems to be a lot of interaction re new 1200 vs old 1150 and I m trying to get my head AROUND IT - I am particularly interested in gathering info at a glance ( hence the Poll ) for this .This is aimed at old GS 1150 boys who have moved to new 1200 GS's or those who are thinking about it and have DRIVEN a new GS 1200. This will help all of you so please consider it .

I would hate to buy a 1200 to discover that I did not like it - I have driven it but am not too sure - yep it was nice - yep its lighter - BUt I love my old GS - its tough and like a old leather jacket - its familiar. If I wanted sports bike stuff - I d have kept the Blackbird!- And when people say things like its a totally different bike - I get the hee bee jeebees :confused: and when they say -" it should not have been even called a GS "- I really question myself.
Take the start of the GS range - each one was a progression to the next ( ok so some were small - some were large) but overall the entire thing has been progress - what I am trying to assertain is this a progression - getting more things right and the design gets better . Is this a true GS or a upscaled 650 or a totally new bike - neither of which I particularly want.
I often here GS being comapred to Rage Rovers - so is this a new Rangerover or is it a new Discovery - or do I just have too much time on my hands :D

Your comments will be most appreciated - but the Poll is best for gathering total info.

Cheers Boys (and Girls ) and to all the guys( and Girls ) who came to Lahinch and who went on the "Real " off road Run - as distinct to the "Tea and Tiny Cakes " Run - Hello and was nt it really nice out - I think I ll keep it out - remember always look on the bright side of life .

That was Quik

Only posted the thing a min ago - were you waiting outside the window !:D

Did I just see Rog leaving quickly through the back doors???

Naaah, must have imagined it ;)

Peter Harte said:
STOP PRESS FIRST TIME DOING A POLL SET UP - I REALLY NEED A SIMPLE YES - NO - JOB - BUT I CANT CHANGE IT - SO DONT WASTE YOU TIME COMPLETING IT UNTIL THIS GETS CHANGED

Now look what youve done:rolleyes:

Nice one Fanum:D

Before it all starts getting heated, Peter, the poll may well not tell you anything beyond the proportion of 12gs owners against 11xxgs owners......we all think (quite naturally) that our own bikes are the best........

The only way of deciding which one is right for you is to ride them both, preferably back to back, and for at least 3 hours.
Don't let others sway you.......ride them, then decide which feels best for you and go with your heart.

Of course, if you go with the far inferior 1100 version, or the wafty limp wristed plastic 1200 sports bike wannabee identity crisis tupperware model, you'll be wrong, but I'm sure being a man of discerning taste you'll go for the ADV.

In silver.

'Cos it's fastest.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ONLY PULLING YER TODGERS!!!!......:rolleyes: jeez I can feel the blood rising from here!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:dabone

:hapybnce: :hapybnce: :hapybnce:

you don't mind me saying I find this poll stupid right?

(btw since you've put it in here what result did you expect? try the 1150 folder too :p)

What suits you sir!

Pete

Was in the same boat myself a few months back, 1200 on order, test rode demo model & wasn't sure. Had another test (2 hours again on all types of roads) 1200 better in all ways, power, nimbleness, brakes......but after back to back riding same test route on the old girl enjoyed her more. New "tart" exiting, but old girl still the one for me, and after another 5k miles still happy with MY decision. You have to make your decision, but remembering that if you've sold a beaut 1150 you can't get another NEW one if you've let other peoples comments sway your decision & made a mistake. Of course you can still get a new GSA :D or you might decide you really do like the 1200 :confused: - it's a tough decision I really WANTED to like the 1200, just didn't & I'm :)

Ade

Oh & I forgot

Good on ya to start calling folks threads stupid NLS - you sure seem to be an expert on that :dabone

Oh what have I done

:hapybnce: :hapybnce:

Bye Bye NLS...........

SEEYA!!!!!

(not!:eyebrow )

042.gif

042.gif
042.gif

NLS said:
you don't mind me saying I find this poll stupid right?

(btw since you've put it in here what result did you expect? try the 1150 folder too :p)
In its present form it is indeed stupid - well spotted !
My Poll was more detailed - but I made a mistake and could not change it - I asked the Admistrator to do it - and he changed it to a one question Poll - is the 1200 beter than the 1150.
My original poll asked questions in several key areas - such as handling - Aesthetics - Ecconomy - Perception - Robustness.
The note at the top of the first post might have given you some idea - that the poll was not quite right - either the first time or in fact the revised version - but as I am only now checking it after a whole 24 hours - thats my fault - so I really was nt trying to waste anyones time - and was using the Poll system for people to say what they were thinking but may not be saying.
I think that if you read the various point s as regards the positioning of the Bike in the market , the constant changes by BMW as regards the marketing and my point that each GS has been an improvement on an earlier one - where as this 1200 , has been called by many not a derivative but a new class of bike and some even say not a GS !
So a Poll for those who have them and are riding them - as distinct from those who cant make up their minds - even with a 3 hour test drive - is going to help me make a decision - because I could not to date - and it may help others
Cheers and thanks for your time - and by the way whats your opinion anyway on the 1200 vs the 1150 - seeing a s you are quick to call the shots -
:D

kiwiAdventure said:
Peter Harte:

Why bother. Surly you can decide for yourself which bike you like or are you just a follower and not a leader!!! :beer:

Hey I love this stuff :)

Coming from a Kiwi - thats a good 'un - and sure you guys know lots about Packs ( sheep and stuff ) -
One in this part of the world likes to make an informed decision - thus we ask questions and get peoples opinions - those of whom are decent enough to give them and everyone benefits from the experience that are interested.

Besides as a Kiwi you should be more carefull with frivellous purchases as the NZ Dollar - AKA the Pacific Peso - wont buy a lot of tutonic engineering - a few sheep may be - F**king great tracks of land even :D
Surely you meant surely - and not "Surly" - a Freudian Slip perhaps

" No offence meant - nothing Baaaaaad intended "

Re: What suits you sir!

Adrian Waller said:
Pete

Was in the same boat myself a few months back, 1200 on order, test rode demo model & wasn't sure. Had another test (2 hours again on all types of roads) 1200 better in all ways, power, nimbleness, brakes......but after back to back riding same test route on the old girl enjoyed her more. New "tart" exiting, but old girl still the one for me, and after another 5k miles still happy with MY decision. You have to make your decision, but remembering that if you've sold a beaut 1150 you can't get another NEW one if you've let other peoples comments sway your decision & made a mistake. Of course you can still get a new GSA :D or you might decide you really do like the 1200 :confused: - it's a tough decision I really WANTED to like the 1200, just didn't & I'm :)

Ade

Well thank you for this excellent post - its exactly how I feel - and despite my poorly constructed Poll ( and which as I said was further re constructed more poorly - my fault though Jim - Sir - Master !)
You obviously looked at the posts made and not just made a split second decision on whether the poll was or was not rubbish- a carefull and considered decision is always best - unlike some of the "Sh**t Stirrers and associated Muppets that have been known to hang about sites - NOT this one of course - God forbid ! - I dont know anyone who is a GS er who would be so silly. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Fanum said:
Before it all starts getting heated, Peter, the poll may well not tell you anything beyond the proportion of 12gs owners against 11xxgs owners......we all think (quite naturally) that our own bikes are the best........

The only way of deciding which one is right for you is to ride them both, preferably back to back, and for at least 3 hours.
Don't let others sway you.......ride them, then decide which feels best for you and go with your heart.

Of course, if you go with the far inferior 1100 version, or the wafty limp wristed plastic 1200 sports bike wannabee identity crisis tupperware model, you'll be wrong, but I'm sure being a man of discerning taste you'll go for the ADV.
In silver.
'Cos it's fastest.

:hapybnce: :hapybnce: :hapybnce:
:D :D :) :D

thnx at least it not my chain being yanked - yep - and here we go again - is the ADV ( even in Silver ) a real progression from the standard 1150 - at least it looks like a progression and not a tupperware impression - and looks like a GS -
And yes the reason for the Poll was that in there anomninity - vis a vie the Poll - we might get some real opinons and not BMW mein Kampf stuff - of course a lot of people dont like to own up to a F** up - But I was trying to make it easier and not embarress them.

Seriously though I didn t really get to like my 2001 GS 1150 , until I had driven it for a while - having come from Super super Slick Blackbird with a gear change as smooth as silk - to a bag of cogs that clunked and ABS that makes more noises that ones gut after 10 Pints of Guinness and bad bad Curry.It took time - I dont want a super slick sports bike - I want a newer and better version of the GS ........Any one remember the MGB when they put Rubber Bumbers on it and stripey seats - they made a B***x of it - funnily enough they christed that a deck chair tupperware !!
I will redesign my poll again and post it under a "nom de plume "I t will require some thoght though - ah maybe I wont bother !

Cheers and keep the best side up

PS My 1150 is Silver as well

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

NLS said:
I love you too

:bash :redbone

BMW 650 Dakar (ABS)

Hey NLS do you really need ABS on one of those - cant you just step off it and put it in your pocket - :D

And yeah if I had one it would be for sale as well :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Peter Harte said:
Coming from a Kiwi - thats a good 'un - and sure you guys know lots about Packs ( sheep and stuff ) -
One in this part of the world likes to make an informed decision - thus we ask questions and get peoples opinions - those of whom are decent enough to give them and everyone benefits from the experience that are interested.

Besides as a Kiwi you should be more carefull with frivellous purchases as the NZ Dollar - AKA the Pacific Peso - wont buy a lot of tutonic engineering - a few sheep may be - F**king great tracks of land even :D

Jeeze Pete,

Wot century do you live in?

1. The NZD is actually quite strong, not to mention petrol is cheaper and insurance is way less. For example using the current exchange rate I paid GBP 8,800 for my GS1200 new, it costs me GBP 270 to full comp insure it for a year, and it costs 39p per litre to get her moving.

2. Shania Twat or was that Twain just paid 21 mill for station (thats a ferkin big farm for you lads) near Queenstown - land prices are going nuts here since someone told you NH blokes that this country was actually built by BMW for the GS

3. That sheep stuff is soooooo old hat - we shag Hobbitts down here now, don't u know that :)

4. And my last small but pertinent point - miles and miles and miles of twisting uncluttered highways, with lots and lots of very cool dirt back roads into the mountains - pure GS heaven. Better get here before too many of the other lads find out :beer:

Phil

Peter Harte said:
Hey I love this stuff :)

Surely you meant surely - and not "Surly" - a Freudian Slip perhaps

" No offence meant - nothing Baaaaaad intended "

I enjoyed that.

KiwiPhil

Don't tell them too much. They might come and stay

Are you riding the South Island BMW adventure ride in FEB 05. I've been told this could be the last

Interesting how theres no option for voting for the
"original and best" the 1100

rather than the heavier, slower with crap screen and shit headlighted 1150

or the trying soooooo hard to keep up with the Japs,Brits and Italinans,..... 1200's

I rode both the 1200 and the adventure before I decided to buy. I simply chose the adventure because it had more road presance, looks better, tried and tested technology, and looks the biggest bike on the planet (which confuses people when you hike the front wheel!)

I love my adventure!

Back
Top Bottom