Bar Grips

grez

Reaction score
Decided to replace the worn grips with proper KTM dual compound. Not liking safety wire I got some Protaper grip glue (sets in 10 - 15 seconds and does it ever).

All started will as the old grips slid straight off due to the glue having the strength of a wet paper towel. Replaced the throttle tube with a nice aluminium one with an altered ratio cam, cleaned everything up and good to go.

Read instructions on glue (well there has to be a first time for everything - never usually read them). Grips were tighter than a virgins you know what but assumed with glue acting as a lubricant they would go on ok. Last time on another bike used soapy water and the tight ones slipped on a treat.

Applied glue, slipped on half way, glue now setting, twisted, tugged pushed swore and got 3/4 way on........followed by no movement and pain.

Grip stuck solid, latex gloves disintegrated and hands rubbed raw from the grip so my thumbs now look like a baboons arse - only redder and more blistered - am being accused of a weekend of rampant self abuse at work.

So, any advice how to get the next set on without doing more damage to myself. I have read a lot of posts that hair spray works well and sets like glue (also WD40)- anybody agree?

Failing that its bugger it and use soapy water and safety wire.

I have used brake cleaner to put a set of pro-grip grips on, you have to be bloody quick though! Have never used glue, only wired them on if they've started to move. Previous trick was spray paint.
Mark

So long as all is clean and dry just squirt a bit of petrol into the grip, slosh it around, tap on with rubber mallet. Beauty of this is that you can with a bit of effort and a few squirts of WD40 get grips off if ever needed.

Wouldnt have thought WD40 would help get grips on and stuck fast but never tried. Seems illogical.

All the safety stuff about petrol in a workshop goes without saying....

Back
Top Bottom