1150GS Maintenance : Valve adjustment

BLUEJAY

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

my '03 1150 GS needs attention and I am about to "DIY" this time :rolleyes:

Valve adjustment is the biggest thing for me, as I have never done it before, but I definitely wish to start.

Is there any link or videos on the web where you can point me to ?

Appreciate your help.

:thumb

Did mine for the first time on any bike following the above notes. Made sure I had all the correct tools and torque settings as I am a bit heavy handed and it was fine. Allow an hour per side first time and just take ur time. Easy though.

[URL="http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81408"]HERE[/URL] you go - all you need in the font of all wisdom section.
Steptoe
Have you done something to this problem with too much washer in the way?
It makes the do-nut seal to stay inside or to go fluently into place when installing the valve cover.

I grind it with a Dremel if it's in the way.
Too%2Bmuch.jpg

Pekka
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A first for me recently as well. All went well and I've done 2000 miles since. I spent over an hour doing it, checking and re checking. Next time I will be doing the rocker floats as well. It was something I read about after I did the valves.

Rocker end float was hard to do for me - can't remember the torque for the cylinder head bolts, but it's quite high, then you have to add an extra half turn:eek:

Not so bad the second time.:thumb2

Did mine for the first time (2001 GS)...nothing blew up and the bike did seem perkier and generally smoother. Followed up with throttle body balance (Harmonizer) and now it's pretty smooth (for a bike with 174,000 km, I guess)...

I used the JVB DVD and also referenced other notes from the net.

Next time, I'll have a look at the rocker arms as well...

Done mine a few times now, took over an hour first time, sitting there with the printout that Steptoe wrote for the font. rocker end float is no harder than doing the tappets, just take your time and go through it carefully, and try not to get frustrated as the gaps change when you tighten things up.

Each time I do it, I get quicker at it. I'm gradually learning my way around the bike and it's maintenance and I'm happy to take the time. I just like spannering, always have on all my bikes. Unless, of course, it's the middle of winter, the garage is freezing and I need to have it all ready to go to work tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom