Whats the difference?

Panzer Patrol

Reaction score
If the RS1150 produces a claimed 95ish hp and the GS1150 only produces a claimed 85ish hp.... where is the extra 10hp for the RS coming from????
Anyone out there willing to speculate? or am I missing something blindingly obvious.:confused:

Motronic engine managment chip delvers less bhp but more torque on the 1500 GS the RT is also different, so the difference is the way the chip is programmed.

I thought that as well, but after seeing two of my friends fitting bbpower chips and Remus Race pipes, their bikes dont seem to have that extra oomph.
I was wondering if it is something more fundamental like pistons or cams or other lumpy things?

A common mod for the RS riders is to fit GS inlet pipes, This gives them a lot more torque at the expense of top end power. It would be interesting to find somebody who had gone the other way and fitted the RS inlets to a GS.

I believe that the RS inlet tubes are narrower than than the GS ones; increase air velocity at higher RPM. I would imagine that this and combined with a different ignition map would make quite a difference. I don't know if the cams are different.

When I had a Superchip installed, Allan Jefferies also fitted the wider RS intake tubes. I've compared mine to others and they are definitely wider. A friend has just picked up a new Adventure and had it fitted with Remus Y pice/race pipe and BB powerchip. AJ's did this before delivery for him so it is all warrantied, but they also did the intake mod as it is part of the "chipping". The revised chip works best with the wider tubes.

It certainly works for us as we went out last Monday and did 310 miles of mainly B roads (only passed one Gatso all day) at a fairly giddy pace.

Paul,

I wasn't sure if it was wider or narrower. I just new they were different. Did you notice any fall of in mid-range? or was that off set by the other mods?

Cams,chip,ignition timing,air intake tubes,some small internal oilways a different diameter(bigger on the RS).Are the main differences.Not to forget g/box ratios

Rob,

Mid range is where almost all of the improvement is found. The bike picks up from tickover and just takes off. There is no discernable increase in top end, but it gets there quicker. I've fitted the speedo drive from an R1150R so the speedo error is virtually gone. My top speed has therefore come down and is somewhere around 120-125mph. This made it difficult to know, accurately, how the top end has been affected.

HTH,

Paul,

Sounds good! I'm not really bothered about top end speed.

I'm getting the urge to do some mods to my bike, I've had it for 2.5 years and it's pretty standard, I keep trawling through the site taking notes and putting a wish list together. maybe Santa will drop some goodies down the chimney.

Back
Top Bottom