Fitting a Y piece

Green Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm doing some prep work before replacing the cat with a Y piece on my '04 1150gsa and have noticed that the clamp that joins the existing original cat to the can is quite badly corroded ie. it looks as if it's been ridden since 2004.

Do these usually come off with application of lubricant/ heat or are they prone to shearing off etc.

Any thought much appreciated as want to avoid starting a job only to find that I can't finish it due to this kind of issue and the bike is off the road.

Like almost all heat-affected exhaust-joint clamps, it can be a bugger.

Knowing that it can be a bugger beforehand is half of the battle. Provided that you clean the exposed thread as much as possible, use a decent freeing agent (Plus-gas, Shock & Unlock or even de-icer rather than WD-40) and a six-sided socket with a long bar, it may creak quite a lot but it should undo. The nut and bolt is pretty robust and will withstand quite a lot of force.

If you do end-up destroying the bolt, new ones are not massively expensive.

The nut on the exhaust clamp of my 1100 was a lump of rust and refused to yield to any amount of releasing fluid and increasingly long breaker bars.

I ended up grinding it off - a new one wasn't expensive.

Apparently ACF50 is also a good releasant (although I've not tried it myself).

Aren't the standard cat exhaust clamps a different diameter to ones needed for Y Piece? Seemed to be on mine (2002 1150 GSA), or maybe they were just seized / corroded and unable to do up tight enough. So I needed new ones anyway.

Might be an obvious question but once fitted, do i need to do anything to make sure the emissions are within MOT standards? Also is it worth using exhaust sealant or do the clamps do a good enough job?

Back
Top Bottom