Another defector signing in...

stanley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just thought I would say hello.
Had bikes for many years, and an 07 1200GS for the last 3 years. After several thousand miles, many of those on mainland Europe with pillion and LOTS of luggage, I've finally come to the end of my tether with the constant wind noise from the GS.

Had a test ride on a new 1200RT and loved it :blagblah
Can't afford one of those at the moment, so I've bought an 05 RT with low miles and plenty of toys.
Pick it up later this week....... can't wait!!

Any tips? Must do's or buy's?

I've ordered a mudguard extender and a load of ACF50..... hope to ride through most of the Winter,

Cheers

Since it's an older machine:

Check the fuel pump controller - that can leave you stranded.

Keep on top of the final drive oil changes.

Try fully synthetic oil in the engine if you must, but I prefer Silkolene Comp 4
20W-50 semi-synthetic.

The BMW 49l topbox is good - look for secondhand if required - or a Givi, Kappa or Shad.

laminar Lip

Hi Stanley, welcome aboard :thumb
If wind noise has been an issue you might like a California Scientific screen for your RT, it’s a significant improvement over the standard screen for me.
Read about it here http://www.ebbo.org/california_scientific_screen.php

Laminar Lip had similar effect for me.

At 30k shocks were 'going' a pair of Ohlins made a vast difference to the way the bike handled, confirming that the shocks were nearly goners.
Expensive but serviceable upgrade if hanging onto the bike.

Just ENJOY!:bounce1

:flag

Hi

Yes right choice i love the GS style bikes but dealers are full of unsold bikes and for some reason private sales are struggling as well. Best bike i owned was my r1150 gsa with verns luggage, i hated the style of the 1200gsa so i got myself a r1200rt se. Love it! By the way fit a Z Technik screen.

Hi Stanley. Welcome to the defectors' list :D The only thing I added which I would recommend is the Touratech engine bars. They look like the best design to me and are a quality stainless steel product. I bought mine seconhand off another member of this parish which took the sting out of the new price :eek:

Looks like SuBStan to me. when you get 'er give me a shout ...

SP

Yep- it's me!!

Here we go then........ picked the bike up from the shop yesterday morning.

6438031729_6e9c838855.jpg

Rode it the long way home; so about 50 miles in the Peak District :)
Got out early this morning and did about 300 miles around Snowdonia :bounce1
Early impressions:
Well I was a bit worried at first- brand new BT021s on cold and wet Welsh roads! Eventually got them a bit scrubbed in. Handles nicely on the dry bits, although needs a lot more effort to turn in (and flick from one side to the other) than the GS did.- But I expected that.
Don't like the servo-assist brakes, but will have to get used to them!
Screen is so much better than the GS but not as good as the 2011RT that I test rode (might try a different screen one day).
All good really. Astonished at how good it is on fuel- high in the 50's mpg.

Need to sort out the tickover speed/throttle bodies (or something) as when I'm at a standstill, if I touch the brakes (servo-assist kicks in) the revs drop and the whole bike tries to shake itself to pieces!

Would like to re-position the bars a bit too. I find them a bit too "angled back". Might get used to them, if not I can see a custom adapter on the horizon!

Quiet on here innit?!

Yep- it's me!!

Here we go then........ picked the bike up from the shop yesterday morning.

6438031729_6e9c838855.jpg

Rode it the long way home; so about 50 miles in the Peak District :)
Got out early this morning and did about 300 miles around Snowdonia :bounce1
Early impressions:
Well I was a bit worried at first- brand new BT021s on cold and wet Welsh roads! Eventually got them a bit scrubbed in. Handles nicely on the dry bits, although needs a lot more effort to turn in (and flick from one side to the other) than the GS did.- But I expected that.
Don't like the servo-assist brakes, but will have to get used to them!
Screen is so much better than the GS but not as good as the 2011RT that I test rode (might try a different screen one day).
All good really. Astonished at how good it is on fuel- high in the 50's mpg.

Need to sort out the tickover speed/throttle bodies (or something) as when I'm at a standstill, if I touch the brakes (servo-assist kicks in) the revs drop and the whole bike tries to shake itself to pieces!

Would like to re-position the bars a bit too. I find them a bit too "angled back". Might get used to them, if not I can see a custom adapter on the horizon!

Quiet on here innit?!

Nice Bike :beerjug:

Lovely bike Stanley, best color and a matching topbox too too, mine's drab grey… :(

If I squeeze my brakes the reves drop a little but not that much, not enough to rock the boat, you can’t adjust the tickover that I know of, hate the servo brakes :mad:

nice colour and very shiny ! Good luck with it.

SP:wasntme

Does look good in red.

I run the V stream screen on mine. Far better than the OE screen.
hth
\v/

Lovely looking bike.

Not sure about the tickover - didnt think it could be adjusted, maybe can be set electronically?

Bar position - the Wunderlich bar raisers have a fair bit of movement back and forth as well as up, might be worth a try.

Rik

Hi Stanley, had mine since March and it takes a bit to get used to. Now that I am it's brilliant:D Was out today and she's steady as a rock in cold weather too, one of the good things about the winter is planning the summer tour....France for me again, GS last time and now the RT:thumb

Back
Top Bottom