K wont start !

turnipbmw

Reaction score
Would rather not call out breakdown service if I can help it but am at work with a non working 1988 K100LT. - finish at 18.30

Riding to wark this morning the Altenator light came on and speedo/rev counter stopped working.

All other lights ok

Just had a quick look and nothing happens when ignition is turned on although lights and horn work ok.

battery is good.

Taken tank off and no obvious wiring faults - someone mentioned starter brushes ?

be nice if I could fix it !

:thumb2

First try sticking it in gear and rocking the bike back and forward against the compression.

If it is worn starter brushes this can sometimes clear the problem enough to get it to start.

Some useful info on starter repairs here (scroll down to the starter links):

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml

Did the bike carry on running after the light came on or did it die.

Can you push start it.

If it starts and the charge light stays on the suspect a loose connection somewhere to the S/M - Get home quick as the battery won't last long.

Call the AA.

yes - rode it for another 4 miles.

will give rocking/ bump starting a go.

yes - rode it for another 4 miles.

will give rocking/ bump starting a go.

Sounds like the starter / circuit then, should be easy to sort out over the w/e.
Probably won't charge the battery if the charge light stays on.

Don't try and start it in 1st, use a higher gear like 3rd and clutch it before you stall.

Turnipbmw,
I had a Kawasaki that had exactly the same symptoms. It turned out to be a flat battery caused by a knackered alternator. It used to pump out enough power to run the bike with the headlight on but if I ran the fog lights at the same time the battery eventually died. Rev counter and speedo would stop working. The engine eventually would die. Just managed to squeak out of the Blackwall tunnel one time before it stopped.

There were no early warning signs. It just started happening one day.

Several time I bump started it, thrashed it for a few miles, then rode home as normal only with the fog lights turned off.

Regards

Rob C

Seems that the immediate problem was a fuse - looked ok but when checked with a meter, it had blown.

Have removed tank etc looking for any reason and pulled and pushed wiring but nothing comes to light.

Imagine I will get home anyway - will strip it out and see if anything shows.

R/h handlebar grip wasnt working so that will be first port of call.

thanks very much for all the help - it was a link to the US BMW site that made me take another look at fuses so you did make a difference.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom