Thoughts after 1K miles

Capsize

Coming up on 1k and generally convinced that the 1200 was the right choice.

I have a few questions for any of you with more miles and experience of the bike.

Braking - The servo brakes are undoubtedly powerful, but I have noticed that they seem difficult to feather acurately and with just a touch too much pressure at slow speeds, they instantly grab hard and lock the front with a bang - Not good in slippery conditions. The lack of dive removes the biting down feeling of other set ups and leads to a vague feeling when turning in.

also on brakes, it seems to me that the engine offers loads of engine brake and I have found that I can be slowing up way too early on downchange alone.

Grip - I don't have the same confidence in the grip of the Tourances on the 1200 as either the same tyre on my 650gs. I have had several fairly lairy slides so far, albeit in the damp. I realise that the additional power and torque are partly responsible, but I am finding that it really hampers progress. The bike feels very loose in the bends and am I right in thinking that that it turns in more easily to the right than to the left?

Noise - even compared to my 650, the 1200 seems rattly and clunky. This can be a bit offputting if you have any kind of mechanical sympathy, so is it just the way it is and will the bike stand up to redlining, banging down the gears etc without falling apart.

All of these little things add up to a feeling that I just cannot ride this bike as fast as my last bikes. It is no one thing, really more a feeling of being ill at ease with it.

These are just a few first thoughts, I have loads more questions.

I know that I would find the answers for myself over time, but would be grateful for any input to speed the process.

Sorry for the length of the post!

Braking - It takes a little time to develop technique. My opinion is that rapid application results in lots of braking power being applied. A more progressive squeeze will apply the brakes more gradually. Just keep after it and you'll have it soon. I liken this to the first time one rides a CV carb bike or FI bike - at first the level of throttle control necessary seems almost impossible.

Re: the turn in to the right or to the left.... I could be wrong but I think that the rotation of the engine means that the bike has a more natural lean to the right than the left. A sort of inertia effect if you see what I mean.

The only concerns that I have with the brakes is the nasty squeeling I get from the front brakes and also the weird braking effect if you happen to hit a hard rut or hole in the road as you are braking hard. It's like the ABS releases the wheel for a moment and then has another go at applying the brakes. Was quite worrying to start with, but I'm sort of used to it now.

Back
Top Bottom