New to green laning

trancey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of taking up trail riding but have very little off road experience. What sort of bike should I be looking at and how do I get started? :confused:

Thinking of taking up trail riding but have very little off road experience. What sort of bike should I be looking at and how do I get started? :confused:

Find your nearest TRF group and get along to the meetings:

http://www.trf.org.uk/

As for bike? that depends entirely on your budget.

If your not blessed with long legs then it maybe wise to avoid competition enduro bikes and go for something with a low seat height, like a xt225 (serow) or a gasgas pampera.

If putting a foot down isn't an issue, then maybe look at KTM's 250 or 400 exc, or honda's xr400 (kickstart only) or a suzuki dr 350 or drz 400.

hth

Book an off road session with i2i.

I don't know who i2i are but I would never suggest paying someone to 'teach' you to start trail riding. Buy a bike, hook up with a few in your area and enjoy days out at your own pace. Also buy some local O/S maps, mark some BOATS and white roads on them and go and have a few hours out exploring.

I don't know who i2i are but I would never suggest paying someone to 'teach' you to start trail riding. Buy a bike, hook up with a few in your area and enjoy days out at your own pace.

Absolutely bang on the nail........:thumb2
Buy a bike, as it sounds like you have already made your mind up that it is what you want to do...... join your local TRF group, and go get out there. This is the best way of learning and getting known on the trail ride circuit.

Timpo.

sounds like you are exactly where I was 8 months ago, what I did was have a couple of goes on a mates XT225 just to confirmed my desire was real. IT WAS :D so next step was to buy a bike , after about 6 weeks of looking I found the perfect one for me a TTR250 , from a very nice chap from this very parish. Then I contacted the local TRF and I haven't looked back since :D:D the best fun you can have with your clothes on :bounce1:JB:JB:JB:JB

Good luck with the bike search :thumb:thumb

This time of year you definately need knobbly tyres. It may sound obvious, but you may buy a bike that somebody has only been using on tarmac. There would be nothing worse than getting put off because you went out for the first time on wrong tyres and kept falling off!
You will be amazed how much grip they actually give you.
I have a little KLR250 bought off here for £600 and it is perfectly adequate for the lanes.

I don't know who i2i are but I would never suggest paying someone to 'teach' you to start trail riding. Buy a bike, hook up with a few in your area and enjoy days out at your own pace. Also buy some local O/S maps, mark some BOATS and white roads on them and go and have a few hours out exploring.

Absolutely bang on the nail........:thumb2
Buy a bike, as it sounds like you have already made your mind up that it is what you want to do...... join your local TRF group, and go get out there. This is the best way of learning and getting known on the trail ride circuit.

Timpo.

I disagree.
i2i don't teach green laning.
They teach the basics of controlling a bike, on the dirt in this case.
Having seen LOADS of road riders hit the dirt, literally, at the first corner (and second, and third) and give it all up as a bad lot.
It makes complete sense to a) learn the basics before you head off with others that can ride, and b) try it out to see if you like it before you pay out a couple of grand on a bike.
Being able to stay on and not having to keep picking the bike up and getting it started again, and have the confidence to try some trickier trails from word go makes for a much more enjoyable start to a green laning career. WELL worth doing.
I also know plenty of guys who have been riding dirt years who could benefit of going back to basics, as well as plenty who have...

I disagree.
i2i don't teach green laning.
They teach the basics of controlling a bike, on the dirt in this case.
Having seen LOADS of road riders hit the dirt, literally, at the first corner (and second, and third) and give it all up as a bad lot.
It makes complete sense to a) learn the basics before you head off with others that can ride, and b) try it out to see if you like it before you pay out a couple of grand on a bike.
Being able to stay on and not having to keep picking the bike up and getting it started again, and have the confidence to try some trickier trails from word go makes for a much more enjoyable start to a green laning career. WELL worth doing.
I also know plenty of guys who have been riding dirt years who could benefit of going back to basics, as well as plenty who have...

Wouldn't entirely disagree with that and the i2i course is good VFM as well

You are better spending a few quid on a 1 day course to see if you like it and ride a variety of bikes - i2i have KTM and Honda 250's to see how you get on

Getting taught basic machine control on the dirt will help no end, as Adam says being able to road ride, doesn't mean a great deal on the trail in reality

If you have mastered the basics, then you'll enjoy yourself more and fall off less

I've been on the i2imca.com off road (part 1) course as I had only just started green laning and didn't feel confident on different terrain.

Tom is fantastic at explaining the basics. His enthusiasm shines through and on my day, 2 guys showed us the "how to" and "how not to" before we had a go.

Whilst I enjoyed the day and did learn some basic techniques, I wouldn't recommend it for what you want to do. The course is on a MX track and although there is a good range of ascent / descent / jumps / corners etc, it's nothing like going on a proper trail ride which entails rocks, pot holes, mud and ruts.

Most of the guys on my day were looking for a fun day out. The bikes are KTM (not great for shorties) and 2 people injured themselves from going "all out" in our final few laps of the course. Since I used my own bike and had to ride home, I was perhaps, a little too cautious......

There are courses which are specifically for green-laning so I would look for those.

btw - I'm still not confident because I haven't been out enough so I would agree with those who say "just get out" but only with others who you can depend on.

Back
Top Bottom