Few questions about ABS systems on the 1150

mr_magicfingers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes, I've been using the search, but with so many threads I just wanted to get answers to a few simple questions.

My 1150gs doesn't have ABS but as I read through various threads I'm trying to figure out what the different systems were and their pros and cons, mainly because I'm hoping next year to upgrade to a newer 1150 adventure and I'd like to understand the options.

If I understand it correctly, you can have bikes with no abs, abs and then servo abs. Servo abs seems to be what causes people issues because the servo abs sounds like it has been subject to failure more than the others and that when it does fail it's a 'very bad thing'. When it works, it seems to be fine.

If you 'de-servo' a bike, does that mean you remove the entire abs system or just the servo part. I'm guessing you remove the entire thing and go back to having standard brakes.

Do later 1150 adventure models all have servo abs or is there non-servo abs on some of them?

Is there a timeline for which years had what model brakes fitted?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I've been using the search, but with so many threads I just wanted to get answers to a few simple questions.

My 1150gs doesn't have ABS but as I read through various threads I'm trying to figure out what the different systems were and their pros and cons, mainly because I'm hoping next year to upgrade to a newer 1150 adventure and I'd like to understand the options.

If I understand it correctly, you can have bikes with no abs, abs and then servo abs. Servo abs seems to be what causes people issues because the servo abs sounds like it has been subject to failure more than the others and that when it does fail it's a 'very bad thing'. When it works, it seems to be fine.

A, If you 'de-servo' a bike, does that mean you remove the entire abs system or just the servo part. I'm guessing you remove the entire thing and go back to having standard brakes.

B, Do later 1150 adventure models all have servo abs or is there non-servo abs on some of them?

C, Is there a timeline for which years had what model brakes fitted?

Thanks for the replies.

A, Yes, you get rid of ABS altogether.

B, It's Servo'd ABS or nothing I believe .

C, Edit..There will be somewhere

The adventure either had ABS or not.

if it did.. then it will be the servo-assist. And i'm sure you've seen plenty of threads about failed servos, residual braking and servoectomys.

The only 1150 varient that had ABS without SERVO were those made before mid 2002. and obviously these were 'normal' 1150s.

So...

You cannot get a GSA with ABS and ordinary (non-servo) brakes. They don't exist.

For my part.. I want reliable ABS and so I will never buy a GSA or any 1150 made after mid 2002.

The adventure either had ABS or not.

if it did.. then it will be the servo-assist. And i'm sure you've seen plenty of threads about failed servos, residual braking and servoectomys.

The only 1150 varient that had ABS without SERVO were those made before mid 2002. and obviously these were 'normal' 1150s.

So...

You cannot get a GSA with ABS and ordinary (non-servo) brakes. They don't exist.

For my part.. I want reliable ABS and so I will never buy a GSA or any 1150 made after mid 2002.

Wrong .....................all the 2002 1150GSA, with ABS - had normal ABS, without Servo modulation

From late 2002/early 2003 all 1150GS/GSA were fitted with Servo ABS

Easiest way to visually check is the front ABS ring, if it's made from shiny stainless steel & has slots in it - it's Servo ABS but if it's dull metal & has raised indentations on the ABS ring - then it's normal ABS 2

Just get any non ABS 1150 GSA and you'll be fine, you don't really need ABS, it's just an added unnecessary complication:thumb

Wrong .....................all the 2002 1150GSA, with ABS - had normal ABS, without Servo modulation

Easiest way to visually check is the front ABS ring, if it's made from shiny stainless steel & has slots in it - it's Servo ABS but if it's dull metal & has raised indentations on the ABS ring - then it's normal ABS 2

Just get any non ABS 1150 GSA and you'll be fine, you don't really need ABS, it's just an added unnecessary complication:thumb

I stand corrected..

However...

Just looked at the realoem site.. and it says the wiring loom for all GSA's from 01 (day 1 of production) were 'abs electronic evo'

is that the same as servo? because.. the early 1150GS has a wiring loom thats for 'integral ABS' - which I imagine is much the same as on my 99 1100.

For my part it would be great news that at least some of the GSA's came without servo assisted brakes/ABS

Servo was the main reason why I've never paid them much attention.. Because that genuinly IS an un-necessary complication.

abs

the best thing I ever done was get rid of that dreadfull servo/abs.
and the alarm/immobaliser, my BMW is a pleasure to ride now.
the standard non servo/abs brakes are more than adequate.

Just to muddy ...

Thanks for all the helpful replies, makes everything much clearer.

Cheers.

... your newly clarified waters; Servo ABS is fine, until the servo packs in, up until that point it's really quite good, a little snatchy but you learn to live with it. Having said that I agree it's an unnecessary complication, just like linked brakes/canbus/HID lights/metal panniers ...

... your newly clarified waters; Servo ABS is fine, until the servo packs in, up until that point it's really quite good, a little snatchy but you learn to live with it. Having said that I agree it's an unnecessary complication, just like linked brakes/canbus/HID lights/metal panniers ...

I've heard enough bad things that I'd avoid it. I like simplicity, never had a problem with braking on standard setups. Think I would either go for a 2002 adv or find one without antilock.

:troll3

Please excuse my pedantry but both statements can not be correct. Either all 2002 had abs sans servo or some of them didn't:D

What ABS?

I am currently looking for a replacement for my ageing 2002 standard GS with 135k on the clock, and would like the next steed to be of the Adventure strain as the additional tank range would be useful.

I have looked at the eBay offerings and one did catch my eye.

Therefore I would appreciate a catagoric answer........

Would a 2005 1150 GSA with punched steel ABS ring be fitted with the Servo assisted braking system and furthermore should this version be avoided in lieu of a non ABS variety?

Many thanks

Regards

Dazlove

Lads... don't all be knocking the servo. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread so on my next GS I'm making sure it has it.....

This is starting to sound like the 1200 forum.....

Mines grand here. It's a mod' one I guess. Stops with a skid if I slam on the rear.

Stops on the front too.

I ride according to conditions. It's a big bike and abs is great but not missed here.

Mind you, I was looking at the k1600 earlier. Need it on that!

Please excuse my pedantry but both statements can not be correct. Either all 2002 had abs sans servo or some of them didn't:D

Late 2002 reg 1150GSA's were actually 2003 model year when BMW usually start building the next year's model from Oct/Nov onwards, so you can get a cross-over in the showroom

I am currently looking for a replacement for my ageing 2002 standard GS with 135k on the clock, and would like the next steed to be of the Adventure strain as the additional tank range would be useful.

I have looked at the eBay offerings and one did catch my eye.

Therefore I would appreciate a catagoric answer........

Would a 2005 1150 GSA with punched steel ABS ring be fitted with the Servo assisted braking system and furthermore should this version be avoided in lieu of a non ABS variety?
Many thanks

Regards

Dazlove

To answer you...............

Yes and Yes:thumb

Don't forget all those that have servo brakes (which means linked brakes too),and ABS and are happy with the security it gives, lots of airing of possible failures and some who have had it fail, but lets not forget the majority with it that have had no problems. Its the failing of forums like this that highlight and over emphasise faults out of all proportion.
The silent majority are happy with their servo ABS, I've had servo brakes since 2001 and no problems yet!

Back
Top Bottom