Flipping R1200GS

Tobers

Reaction score
Oops....! To put it mildly! Fun on this weekend's BMW offroad course. I have a video showing how this happened, and wait till you find out who's bike it was. Just need to convert the video format....

More pics at

http://tobers.smugmug.com/gallery/232908

9036115-M.jpg

9036120-M.jpg

9036119-M.jpg

:D Tobers

ooohh Dear

Someone was slagging of the 1200 as being cheap and tacky using tie wraps on the handle bars but I note they are very robust and have passed this drop test with flying colours...:D :D

Have Fun

AndyT

At least the magnesium crash-bobbins seem to have taken most of the spill... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now when's the 1150 brigade going to come rushing in with comments... :confused: I'm hoping for some new ones... :cool:

Tobers, do you know the extent of the damage...? or should I just examine the pics properly... :D

Thanks for posting! :beerjug:

Big Lee wins the prize. Yes, it's the MCN long termer bike :D

It was smashed when the rider (anonymous for now but not Pavey or Plumb or Gary or Peter the MCN man) looped it during a rather spectacular wheelie at about 40mph.

Although it looked totally wrecked, it actually crashed quite well. The left hand valve cover is obviously smashed, the front mudguard/screen/light is wrecked, the bars are bent, and the rear light assembly is in bits. Apart from that it wasn't too bad considering the way it cartwheeled along shedding parts everywhere.

Oh well....poooh happens as they say.

Interestingly its the same colour as mine - as far as I can tell :)
Which I should get TOMORROW!!! Wahey!

The video should make good viewing :).

After you've done it, you might want to ask MCN whether they'd like to host it on their website :) :). If they don't, I bet Superbike magazine will :).

PS:

Was it another journalist who trashed it? Or perhaps a fellow Tosser?

makes me fell ill just looking at it! carnage.

Did the rider survive? at least he could look forward to seeing his P45 if he did.

BTW - Irish Al is looking for a replacment seat on another thread, someone send him telepohne number for MCN!:hide

Amazingly, the rider was unscathed (or refused to admit to being hurt!). And it wasn't a journalist or a fellow Tosser, but I feel bound by the goodness of fellow man not to let on, not that it is very exciting anyway.

Tobers said:
Amazingly, the rider was unscathed (or refused to admit to being hurt!). And it wasn't a journalist or a fellow Tosser, but I feel bound by the goodness of fellow man not to let on, not that it is very exciting anyway.

So how much money will it take to loosen the morals of silence?:D

If crashbars had been fitted then the bike may have been able to be patched up sufficiently well to get it back home.

Can BMW assist be called upon when this happens?

RobC said:
If crashbars had been fitted then the bike may have been able to be patched up sufficiently well to get it back home.

Can BMW assist be called upon when this happens?

"BMW Rider Assistance? Can I help you?"

"I hope so. I'm in an abandoned open cast coal pit somewhere in mid Wales and I lent my sparkly new 1200GS to somebody so they could attempt to pull monster stand-up wheelies on it on a shale surface, but then they back-flipped it and it appears to be completely bollocksed."

"Ah. Well, if you wait just a moment, Sir, a helicopter will be with you."

"Really? I'm impressed!"

"Yes. We pride ourselves on the personal touch. That's why we've got somebody on the way down to tell you to your face that you are a complete twat, you deserve what you get and are entirely on your own, rather than me doing it now over the phone. Goodbye!".

This thread is, of course, worthless without video (that's a smiley we need, definitely)...

The bike was being unloaded off the back of a pickup as I arrived at Bath Road BMW this evening. What a mess.

I can't help wondering if the damage would have been less on an older oilhead or airhead.

Mike

Nope - any bike would have been completely wrecked - oilhead or whatever. Although said journo did lament not having had engine bars fitted :D They would have possibly saved the cylinder head but it came down with a real wallop so maybe not.

The video is actually pants. I recorded it using my phone and you get barely 2-3 pixels of bike on it. Also, it transpires that I pressed the shutter release at the point when the cartwheeling started, thus stopping the recording. For the record, the phone is a SonyEricsson S700i, and the stills on the top of this thread were taken with it as well - 1.3megapixel still camera and 172x64 15 fps video.

However, in the interest of completeness, it is here:

http://www.stopthebuffeting.com/misc/MOV00014.3gp

I suggest you do "Save as" and save it somewhere. I dont know if it'll stream if you use "Open" from your PC. Still, try it and see. As I haven't found a 3gp to mpeg converter yet, you'll need Quicktime to view it. You can find it here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Andy

Amazing quality on them photos. You really used an S700 for these? I didn't know it was shipping yet. The pics from my P900 is quite worthless.

Back
Top Bottom