Advice on how to replace the air temp sensor plug...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It seems that nine and a half years is the design life of the wiring loom on my nine and a half year old 1150 GS Adv...
190573303_2WXHe-Ti.gif

The latest discovery during the winter refit is that the plug that fits into the Air Temp Sensor (on top of the air cleaner housing)...

i-MbQ8n2K-L.jpg

...has become detached from the wiring loom. It looks...

i-w4bmgZX-L.jpg

...like a fatigue failure - the area is quite a busy one, with lots of extraneous electrical connections (heated clothing wires etc) living in the area, so it has probably been bashed about a bit during its life.

i-TP7TSP3-L.jpg

So...

How do I fit a new plug onto the broken wires? As you can see, the wires are broken flush into the current plug, so there's no way (or at least none obvious to me) for me to use this one. I can't find plugs listed as a separate item on the parts fiche - does anyone know if they are available?

i-9NRTzR5-L.jpg

What are the possible consequences of running without an input from the air temp sensor?

All advice appreciated...

Cheers,

Mike :cool:

Can you.....

Take a Stanley knife and carefully cut the plastic block to expose some more wire, then re-solder them and seal with either heat shrink or self amalgamating tape?

Can you.....

Take a Stanley knife and carefully cut the plastic block to expose some more wire, then re-solder them and seal with either heat shrink or self amalgamating tape?

I don't think there's room, Tim. At least not for my method of soldering... :D

Solved!

BMW do a repair kit (although it's £14 :eek). For anyone needing to do the same, the Part No is 83300402339...

i-3K7ggTk-L.jpg

Mike :)

Back
Top Bottom