USA 2012 - What to wear?

sven

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We're touring the California and the South West at the end of May/beginning of June and wondering what kind of bike gear we need to take with us.

The route is LA - Joshua Tree NP - Williams - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Mesa Verde - Ouray (via Million Dollar Highway) - Moab (via San Juan Skyway) - Grand Staircase Escalante - Bryce Canyon - Death Valley - Yosemite (via Tioga or Sonara Pass depending upon the snow conditions at the beginning of June) - San Francisco - Pacific Coast Highway 1 - LA

Potentially we could have +45 degrees down to 0 degrees in the same day and average temperatures well into the 30's.

I was thinking along the lines of my well-ventilated HG Cruise GTX jacket and Kevlar lined jeans, with lightweight waterproof overtrousers and a fleece jumper when/if required? :confused:

I've been in the south of France in July with the temperature in the high 30's and full Goretex textiles were verging on unbearable :( Maybe a mesh type textile jacket and jeans with a one-piece waterproof would be a better solution?

I covered a lot of the same ground last June Sven wearing my HG Toureg jacket with the liner removed and all the vents open, Draggin jeans and HG goretex boots that look like overgrown trainers. Under the jacket I wore high wicking base layers which really worked.

There was snowfall on the Tioga Pass a week before we arrived in early June, but the road was open. As we neared 7 or 8000ft it was getting pretty cold so we stopped and put on fleeces or jacket liners on until we dropped down to Mono Lake where it was much warmer.

I had unlined wet gear with me to pull on over my jacket and jeans but only used them a couple of times. Once in the high passes in Colorado and again in New Mexico, but they did the trick very well.

Wait until you get to the States, then buy some Klim Dakar trousers and a Mesh jacket (I've a Joe Rocket but there are plenty to choose from).

It won't be as hot as you think except Death Valley where at that time of the year it will be around 110f which is hot enough.

A lot of the places you are going are at altitude so may get a tad chilly up there so make sure you take a few layers as there will still be snow on the high passes.:thumb You will also get the June gloom in places on the PCH and I can tell you, you will freeze your ass off next to the coast:eek:

It's a great time to go as the roads will be quiet and the weather nigh on perfect for riding.

There will be a load of us tossers in SF in early June prepping for Alaska so let us know the dates you expect to be in SF and we can have a cold one or two:beerjug:

In France and Spain during the Summer months I have used a combination of a lightweight summer bike jacket that is highly ventilated but has some built in protection but is not waterproof, with a decent light waterproof jacket.

This has given me cooler riding in the 100f heat and when it rains or is cold I put the water proof on with a suitable layer of clothing underneath.

This for me, gives flexibility and various option to use the clothing on and off the bike - for instance the waterproof top can be worn out in the evening. This is useful when traveling with limited space.

:beerjug:

In May through July you should have no problem. I ride all of the pass as they are in my back yard so to speak in bmw rallye 2 pro jacket and pants with no liners. In late June I will be heading up over Tioga Pass towards the Colorado Rockies.

In past years Tioga Pass has not opened until after mid June. But CA SR 88 is always open. This year it may open earlier as we have had very little rain and snow so far.

Back
Top Bottom