Oil leak,but where from??

wreck diver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,I went to view a 2008,1200 RT 18,000 miles,fair condition buy very thick coating of oil on the front of the block,RHS looking from the front.
A slight drip when engine running,:confused:
Any ideas where from,please.
pics attached.

Attachments

• DSC01809 2.jpg
    DSC01809 2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC01810 2.jpg
    DSC01810 2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 225
Sorry, can't help on the source of the oil leak- but from the bits we can see in those pics, that looks rough for only a 3 year old, 18K bike.

Definitely the right mileage?

Looks like its the galley plug in the picture.

Wash it down with degreaser and dry it thoroughly then remove the plug. Odds on it will have a washer behind it that needs replaceing. BMW have used alloy washwers in the past which corrode and then leak. Fit a brand new copper one and you'll be fine.

If I were you I'd order a 10mm brake washer - they're cheaper than a postage stamp. Can't be sure without looking but its probably the right size. if not then clean, measure, reassemble with the duff washer (you'll be ok for a few miles) and then buy another of the right size.

Do clean it up before removing the plug though, any of that grit getting inside your engine will ruin it in double quick time.

Mark

Wash it down with degreaser and dry it thoroughly then remove the plug. Odds on it will have a washer behind it that needs replaceing. BMW have used alloy washwers in the past which corrode and then leak. Fit a brand new copper one and you'll be fine.

If I were you I'd order a 10mm brake washer - they're cheaper than a postage stamp. Can't be sure without looking but its probably the right size. if not then clean, measure, reassemble with the duff washer (you'll be ok for a few miles) and then buy another of the right size.

Do clean it up before removing the plug though, any of that grit getting inside your engine will ruin it in double quick time.

Mark

I think he's looking to buy it. Perhaps a sign that the bike may be overpriced.

Drives me nuts that BMW would look to save literally a few pence using alloy washers instead of copper ones. They're shite.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.
I did go with the intention of buying the bike.
The price seemed fair looking at photos,but it has been stored outside under a cover for 18 months plus and it does show.Brake disk bolts,brake hose banjo,s etc. These can be replaced but it all tots up with tyres and a service
so it needs to be cheaper still im thinking.
The mileage is correct,but doesnt look like it i know.
Wish i still had my 1150 adventure.

I didn't read all of your first post - If its a bike you're looking to buy then there must be others worth looking at. Its a buyers market this time of year after all.

Personally I wouldn't want a bike that had been stored outside for any time regardless of the reasons. As you've already said there are plenty of places where the corrosion sets in and you'll go on finding them for months after you get the bike home.

Well look on the bright side, there should be less corrosion under all that oil. Get he cost of the bits that it needs, take it off the asking price and make an offer.

You'll either get a very cheap bike or continue looking elswhere.

Mark

Thanks Mark,is it just a simple case of removing that plug? ie nothing going to pop out apart from oil.
I did wonder if it was leaking from the front cover and running rearwards:nenau.
Last winter kept outside has taken its toll somewhat,disk bolts and the like.
I think i may pass on this one.
Anyone getting rid of a very clean 1150 gs: blue/white. :D

Thanks Mark,is it just a simple case of removing that plug? ie nothing going to pop out apart from oil.

I haven't had mine out to check, but I'd have no qualms about removing it. If there is a spring loaded ball behind then its not going to explode out of there and get lost - You'll have no problems. However if you're buying then I'd look at another as well just to see if you're getting the best deal.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom