vibration in the saddle

rqw

hi all,

at 2800 rpm and when accelerating i have trouble with a lot of vibrations coming from the saddle. there're also vibrations in the footsteps. not good for my back and knees (after 90 kms the fun is over for me --> my back and right knee hurts too much).

i checked the placement of the saddle and everything is ok. also rode with the bike in the 2 possible heights but the vibrations are equal...

went to my dealer today and he also checked the saddle but everyting was fine. he will discuss the matter with the headquarter. according to him, i'm the first to complain about vibrations.

had anyone else this problem? what could cause the vibrations? solution?

ps: there are no vibrations when driving at a constant rpm

thx in advance
grtz,
rutger

Hi rqw!

If it vibrate so much so it hurts; there must be something wrong.

I admit; my first thinking was; ''Have you ever rode a boxer in your life?''. Because boxers vibrate different from the in-line-four-bikes from Japan.

Have you everer tryed an BMW F 650 CS? That's the Scarver, and it vibrate in the seat. And, do you know? I like it! ;)

I know there's a recall for 1200GS; the rear wheel bearing is not good. -Is it possible the vibration is from the rear wheel?

:) Liv.

Two comments come to mind...the usual flippant 'They all do that sir' and then the sensible (and more likely perhaps) update to the fuelling map.....Tobers reported on it the other day and it sounded like it might well sort out the problem you describe.:)

(It's a freebie update that the dealers do at the next service, but that can be applied if you have problems before theat point)

thx for the comments so far.

it's my second boxer, and the one with the most vibrations. and that for a boxerengine with a balance shaft! i'm sure there's something wrong, 'cause i have driven already four 12gs (for testing purpose) and there saddles didn't vibrate...

i really hope this will be sorted out...

ps: my first bike was a f650gs and i also liked those vibrations

G'day all.

I have just returned from a 16,000km trip round Oz on my 12GS, with the optional low seat. I've had lots of vibrations coming up through the seat - but only on the left side! So much so, that apparently a nerve was pinched, causing bad, bad pain in the lower left back area for most of the trip. :(

The low seat seems to make me sit crooked, as my right knee hangs out away from the tank. No matter what correctional body positioning I did, it always sneaked back into the crooked, twisted to the left, position. It was so bad that I bought a standard seat as soon as I got back to Melbourne.

I'd done only 400 metres with the standard seat when I realised that my right knee was back in against the tank!:) Yesterday I rode 400km with the standard seat - and all the pain is gone! I can only assume that the correct posture/position adopted with the standard seat has un-pinched the nerve!

But I'm not pushing my luck too far. Leaving on tonight's ferry (to the mainland) for a 3,800km trip over 4 riding days, so will take the RT Classic, with it's wonderful deluxe comfort seat and wind protecting fairing!!:D :D

Have discussed the low seat with the local dealer, who has one on order, and will "lend" it to me to test for comparison purposes. An upholsterer friend took the low seat apart, and is convinced that it is mis-shapen on the right side, which would cause the body movement over to the left side.

Will write more about the problems I encountered on the big trip when I get back next week.

Margaret:) :) :)

Recall BMW R1200GS.

This summer Dutchman was here, and he got big trouble with the rear wheel bearing.
A few weeks lather the magazine Motorrad wrote they discovered problems with the rear wheel bearing on many of the R1200GS.

Your dealer may not get the message from Berlin yet, but I'm sure they get it!

If I was the owner of a R1200GS I would call my dealer, and send a message to Dutchman. (He's a member of this forum.)
And I would check if there was to much play on the rear wheel regulary.

I had some recalls for my Scarver, and everytime I heard about it on the internet before my dealer contact me.
But it's fixed! I'm a happy Scarving lady! :p

Liv,
so you are telling me there is no recall regarding the rear wheel bearing. right?

viatormundi said:
Liv,
so you are telling me there is no recall regarding the rear wheel bearing. right?

As far as I know; not for the moment.
But I'm sure it's coming.

Keep an eye on the play on the rear wheel.

Do you want to read Dutchmans story?
Visit http://www.bmwridersscotland.com
It happend when he was here in Norway.

Back
Top Bottom