1200GS First Trip

Gordy

After a 5 month wait I finally took delivery of my new 1200GS at the beginning of September. Spent the last 3 weeks touring France. Excellent bike. My previous BMws were 1150GS and Adventure. Personally I loved the 1150GS (I have owned 2) and considered it better than the Adventure that I 'upgraded' to. However in the 3000 miles that I have covered so far I think this is the best of a great bunch.
The two issues I have are the self cancelling indicators, I think they are a needless and dangerous accessory. My dealer says that the cancelling thingy cannot be deactivated, is this true? Also I have a squeaky front break which doesn's seem to be getting any better as the miles increase. Anyone out there got the same problem?
Last thing I am using givvi panniers instead of the BMW ones. More space no gimmics and cheaper. They do increase the width a lot more than the BMWs but it isn't a real problem. I have a remus carbon fibre exhaust and have had no radiated heat problems from it with the panniers fitted.
That's all :beerjug:

My front brakes squeal like a little piggy if you give them a handful! I'm getting it checked at the 600 mile service

Russ said:
My front brakes squeal like a little piggy if you give them a handful! I'm getting it checked at the 600 mile service
Mine did too, had them checked at first service but it just got worse but now they are quiter, must be nicely damped with a load of brake dust.

Forgot to say I was also told the crap self cancelling can't be stopped but I'm not sure, it's probably only a bit of software that needs changing. Better than removing the self cancel would be to restart the timer every time you press the turn signal button, that way it could be pressed again nearer the turn and would last long enough to negotiate the turn.
I agree the self cancel is dangerous and maybe with enough pressure BMW would do something about it.

great hear that you too like the new 1200. The front brake problem is very common, had mine looked at twice by SLM and once myself. Can't seem to get it to stop.

Has it got self cancalling indicators my stay on for an age. I have a remus titanimus exhaust with the baffle out and have so far melted two number plates, two indicator lenses and a housing.
I have made some alterations to the bits that keep melting to stop them melting , but the exhaust make a huge difference to the mid range. Big smiles alround.

Back
Top Bottom