World Crosser S10

jetjock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
lmp8608.jpg

More pics here >>>>>>

http://www.omnimoto.it/magazine/8370/yamaha-super-tenere-worldcrosser-2012-enduro-salone-moto-parigi

Nice looking piece of gear. I do like those side panels - much cleaner and less "blobby" than the originals.

I think if I was going round the world on a bike I would want something simple and light (so I could pick it up after the umpteenth time of dropping it on sand etc). Probably a fully re-furbished airhead. Then again the Worldcrosser probably won't go round the word (without backup) :D:D

Nice......!:thumb

I was thinking about this 'round the world' thing and bikes.......It's possible to ride right round and back again without ever having to leave tarmac which broadens the type of bike you could use.

Nice to do it on a great big one with the 'shitkicker' look rather than a little 'chicken chaser'!

FP.:thumb

Is this going to be another 'Image over substance' bike? It looks the bees knee's BUT will it ride as well? It does looks very heavy too?

I did read somewhere that dealers will turn the standard Tenere into this by a few bolt-on additions and no rear spare tank. Seems a bit of a cheat.

Its a standard XTZ with a load of bits on, the "kit" will be available to dealers next year, so basically not a new bike just modified. R version is also a possibility and this may be uprated as in KTM R models.
As to going round the world, how far is it ? Sanders did 51K on 2 services and no one following him :nenau
If anyone finds a post on any forum saying the bike has broke (without hitting a tree @ 40 mph or dropping over 8 ft) let me know cos i cant find one and the Aussies/East europeans/South Africans and yanks have tried pretty hard.
For all you guys with BMW tatoos it is what it is a very well put together tough reliable bike fairly basic in reality which was too expensive when launched but so are all of Yams bikes, the prices are coming down cos no one is buying them, any muppet can wack their prices up by 25%, just means you dont sell anything :nenau
Anyway they are shite so dont buy one stick with the more common, see em everywhere stuff as i like being in a fairly exclusive minority :thumb2

Is this going to be another 'Image over substance' bike? It looks the bees knee's BUT will it ride as well? It does looks very heavy too?

I did read somewhere that dealers will turn the standard Tenere into this by a few bolt-on additions and no rear spare tank. Seems a bit of a cheat.

It's ighter than my 1150adv and people seem to get pretty far on them, why would you want an extra fuel tank stuck on the back seat? there's very few places with more than 200miles between petrol stations. Reports from owners seem to imply that the bike rides very well. The bolt ons are aimed at reducing the overall weight of the machine and adding a bit more protection for off road as far as i have seen. And bmw could never be accused of style over substance could they? it looks like a good bike to me just priced wrong, i may look at one in a years time when there are a few on the market that have had a hard time going to tescos and back like a fair few other 'adventure' bikes. The one thing I didnt like about the s10 after looking round it was the finish, it looked a bit rough in places exposed wiring etc, thats why i never went down the 12gs route, always looked a bit plastic fantastic to me.

It's ighter than my 1150adv and people seem to get pretty far on them, why would you want an extra fuel tank stuck on the back seat? there's very few places with more than 200miles between petrol stations. Reports from owners seem to imply that the bike rides very well. The bolt ons are aimed at reducing the overall weight of the machine and adding a bit more protection for off road as far as i have seen. And bmw could never be accused of style over substance could they? it looks like a good bike to me just priced wrong, i may look at one in a years time when there are a few on the market that have had a hard time going to tescos and back like a fair few other 'adventure' bikes. The one thing I didnt like about the s10 after looking round it was the finish, it looked a bit rough in places exposed wiring etc, thats why i never went down the 12gs route, always looked a bit plastic fantastic to me.

Don't get me wrong, as I stated I DO like the 'look' of this bike. Unfortunately you're right, no bike is perfect. The blue (I'm pretending to be a girlie here) looks stunning but for some reason the silver looks completely shite. Looks a different bike. Saw a silver one in Fowlers Bristol when they were first released although they had to buy theirs as a test bike as you could only get them originally via the web. What was that all about? I had a close look around it and apart from the huge exhaust (what is that all about?) it looked well put together but I did have to tell the salesman, who zoomed in on me when he saw me looking, that there was coolant dripping all over the floor. Not a good start although he did wipe it up pronto before the next victim, sorry, potential buyer came along. Did see them advertised for 10k not that long ago although can't remember if this came with panniers (which are also shite). Why do manufacturers (including BMW) insist on fitting plastic panniers?

I haven't ridden one yet, but I've had a good look over them.
It all seems "standard" Yamaha to me, although I have to say, a good looking bike, and well put together.
I've owned lots of Bee-ems over the last 40 years or so, and have always admired their quality and attention to detail. My last one was a 2009, 1200GS and the general quality of the cycle parts was excellent, especially the use of stainless steel for many of the fixings. As it happened, I didn't warm to the bike.
I didn't see any SS fixings (or spokes) on the Yamaha, but time will tell how the bike copes with winter use compared to Bee-ems.
A lot of these shortcomings can be addressed during ownership.
What does appeal to me about the Yamaha is the reliability.
Roll on the new year!

Apologies for sounding daft, but wouldn't it be possible just to buy a standard S10 and then buy the parts to convert it to a "lookalike" Worldcrosser ?

Apart from the fancy extra tank etc.

BIKE magazine indicated that mostly these were just "add on" parts I think.

Apologies for sounding daft, but wouldn't it be possible just to buy a standard S10 and then buy the parts to convert it to a "lookalike" Worldcrosser ?

Apart from the fancy extra tank etc.

BIKE magazine indicated that mostly these were just "add on" parts I think.

Yes mate its a kit, no prices yet

Back
Top Bottom