Ultraseal ?

Clive795

Reaction score
Just had the first service and now looking forward to the first proper trip. I think the fuel mapping has made a difference as it is certainly much smoother at 30 mph.

My question is whether to put some Ultraseal (or simliar) in the tyres. The reason I ask is that two miles from SPC on the way to the service the back tyre punctured ! It all got a bit wobbly on a short stretch of dual carriageway.

What do people feel about these puncture repair fluids, they seem to work but I am concerned about having a puncture (or two or three) and not knowing about it with the eventual risk of the tyre failing completely.

I am still tempted to try the stuff to avoid being stranded somewhere with a flat.

I assume I was unfortunate yesterday and that there is no history of the standard Metzeler tyres puncturing after 700 miles.

Your views are welcomed.

Clive

Do a serach on the word Ultraseal and you should get some feedback.

Although you will be more confused than before!

The alternative is just carry a can of Tyreweld for when/if you ever gety another one.

Fanum said:
The alternative is just carry a can of Tyreweld for when/if you ever gety another one.

just what i do, i've had a few punctures over the years, and at speed, never caused me great concern with the handling, just pulled over, inserted BM plug or tyreweld, on my way, i've always left the tyre like it till its worn out, am i just lucky or do we all make a lot of fuss over nothing,

I know lots of people who've had blow outs, and never been thrown off etc etc, do you know of anyone who has, ( not a friend of a friend but personally, actual incidents).

heard lots of tales of ultraseal !

is it a bit like slick50, which american tests showed to be a pile of poo, with lots of detrimental effects, and banned from being put into light aircraft engines, that also used to be praised in the BM moaners mag.

Ultraseal, I wouldn't ride without it. I've had it in the last 4 sets of tyres and not had a problem with it. I still check the tyres for punctures as I'm not happy with the thought of picking up a big nail and not knowing. The only instance when it was tested was with a friends bike when I saw a screw head sticking out of his rear tyure and you could hear the air escaping. After removing the screw the utraseal sealed the hole and we could continue. He still got a conventional repair done later. So it's like insurance, I could have wasted 4*£20 on the last 4 sets of tyres but at least i wouldn't be stuck waiting for a recovery vehicle.
My conclusion is, it's costly but worth it and seems to have no bad effects.

I've used ultraseal in the past with no detrimental effects but it didn't seal my puncture :( I don't use it any more.

Recently I got a MASSIVE puncture in the rear wheel of my fazer, the bike got very wobbly but I noticed instantly and stopped without incident. After waiting for 2 hours to be recovered I decided to buy a roadside repair kit.

Interestingly, the 1200GS comes with a repair kit under the seat.

Blow out.....

I bought a Trans Alp in 1994 I think it was, not that it matters.
The bike was fitted with spoked wheels and therefore tubed tyres.
We were in a right hand bend and picked up an unused pop rivet in the rear tyre. We were on our arse before you knew it - instantaneous decompression being a dubious side effect of tubeless tyres.
Strange really but we were still in a sitting position as we continued down the road but now literally on the road.
I wondered if this was going to hurt but it was remarkably painless - thats when I realised I was sitting on my dearly beloveds thigh. I then returned to watching the colourfull sparks flying off my 625 km old bike as it slid down the road in front of us.
We were both unhurt but I still retain the mental picture of her bum reinforcement patch falling away when she got up - all the stitching had been ground away. Long live leathers......

Back
Top Bottom