Electrical problem on 1150

somersetarcher

Reaction score
Happy Christmas to all

Mine is a 2000 V Reg with 40k on. When I switch on the ignition the oil warning and ABS lights come on - nothing else. The bike starts fine, when the engine is revved to the point the alternator starts charging the neutral indicator and ignition light come on and stay on. Select a gear and both go out.
I have fitted additional spots and a Starcom - both are wired direct to the battery and fused. The only other mod is an HID conversion fitted as a supplied loom. I have replaced the short loom section from the ignition switch on advice that these work harden and cause problems.
Anyone got any ideas - my BMW dealer couldn't help?

Happy New Year and safe riding

Have a good fondle of the wiring around the headstock.....give it a good squeeze, turn the bars, have another squeeze, all the time watching the idiot lights.
If there is any flickering, it could be the old problem of the loom breaking up due to overtight cable ties not allowing enough movement.

Check every earth point you can find. At that age corrosion is a definite possibility.

I had a similar problem about a year ago on my 2001 1150 and Steptoe suggested that an earth wire could be broken in the loom, which was indeed the case.

Remove the tank. There's a section of loom that runs along the right hand side of the headstock as you sit on the bike. Carefully cut the outer cover of the loom down near the headstock and you will almost certainly find corroded wires in there.

It's an easy job and should leave everything working fine again.

No Electrics!

Hi somersetarcher

I had a similar problem a while ago, with very similar symptoms.

The problem is probably down to a broken earth wire going up to the dash. The loom at this point is covered in a heavy loose sheath ;-) and collects water. The multiple earth terminals in this sheath then corrode to a green mush.

Please see the attached link, which I commented on some time back and also attached a couple of piccies.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260165&highlight=dazlove

Hope you get it sorted soon, if it is the same issue then it is an easy fix.

Wishing all a happy and prosperous new year.

Best regards

Dazlove

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who answered my plea
Problem was a broken earth as predicted by all of you
The loom was full of water, I have stripped the whole length off and re-covered with self amalgamating loom tape
All sorted and a full set of lights at the right time!

Thanks again for taking the trouble and happy riding for 2012 - we are heading for Spain/France via Santander at the end of May

Back
Top Bottom