KTM advice please

bladerunner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
I'm after a lightweight KTM which is road legal and could take a pillion for relatively short trips - it's to go on the back of a motorhome.
I fancy a 250 4 stroke for some off road fun, but would need to have lights and be road legal.
Does such a beast exist?
cheers for advice

Have a look at the 125 or 200 Duke - they are the only small KTMs on which you can take a pillion.

For off-road as well, try a, hem ...., DR-Z!

Greg

Hi
I'm after a lightweight KTM which is road legal and could take a pillion for relatively short trips - it's to go on the back of a motorhome.
I fancy a 250 4 stroke for some off road fun, but would need to have lights and be road legal.
Does such a beast exist?
cheers for advice

yep dr350 :hide

It doesn't! All advice welcome.
Just want something that can hoon around Pyrenean green lanes and take Mrs BR to a cafe in the evening (i.e. does have lights), but can fix onto back of motorhome. Would not need to travel long distance.

WR250R not the f version , rated in TBM and loads of other mags as one of the best trail bikes, also comes with rear pegs, just happen to know for one for sale and not far from you either :thumb2

WR250R not the f version , rated in TBM and loads of other mags as one of the best trail bikes, also comes with rear pegs, just happen to know for one for sale and not far from you either :thumb2

135kg with fuel though?

The last bike I would have hanging off a motorhome would be an orange one....... owners can't keep the scotes away from them when the bikes are locked in a garage, nevermind on full display behind a motorhome.

Me, I'd go for a TT250R
4GY1_Blue.bmp

or Serow250
yamaha-serrow.jpg

or XLR250
XR250L.jpg

or DR250-Djiebel
suzuki_djebel_250_xc_2002_1.jpg

All electric start and do mega-miles to the gallon, and very cheap to insure.

When you say "it's to go on the back of a motorhome", I presume you don't mean a trailer...but mean some kind of bike carrier mounted at the rear.

I looked into this for my motorhome and it was a non-starter due to the rear overhang. The weight of the bike and the leverage would have placed an excessive load on the rear and would have been illegal. Also, it would have reduced the load on the front axle too much leading to dangerously light steering.

The real problem with motorhomes is that you generally have very little load carrying weight to play with.

You may get away with an 80-90kg bike, but what you are after will likely weigh in at >=135kg. But without knowing anything about your motorhome, its impossible to say but if it has a 3500KG gross weight its unlikely IMHO.

Very few vehicles can carry a bike on the back legally. Something like a Defender or Discovery will; these have fek all overhangs too.

You might want to have a chat with Watling Engineers; they can assess the situation, and calculate axle loads etc. Take a look at http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorhome_axle_loads.html

Low maintenance compared to a full on enduro bike and bags of fun, no it wont win you any medals if your racing but a fantastic bike and comfy enough for 2 people

Too heavy for a motorhome rack application:D

Back
Top Bottom