Autocom and R1200GS - Question

Spider

I have a 4 year old Autocom Eurocom which has previously been fitted to a Pan European and an R1150RT. It was 'hard wired' to the Pan and plugged into the 12v power circuit on the RT. I have just taken delivery of an R1200GS and am seeking advice on fitting the Autocom to this bike. The unit isn't small (about the size of two cigarette packs?) and I can't see an obvious location for it on the bike. Also, what are the do's and don't's of wiring it into the SWS? I'm reluctant to plug it into the power socket since it's a single socket and I also sometimes use a Widder heated waistcoat in that socket (not a problem with the RT's double socket). What are the risks in connecting it straight onto the battery? And where can I locate the unit?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks,

Spider

I have a 4 year old Autocom Eurocom which has previously been fitted to a Pan European and an R1150RT. It was 'hard wired' to the Pan and plugged into the 12v power circuit on the RT. I have just taken delivery of an R1200GS and am seeking advice on fitting the Autocom to this bike. The unit isn't small (about the size of two cigarette packs?) and I can't see an obvious location for it on the bike. Also, what are the do's and don't's of wiring it into the SWS? I'm reluctant to plug it into the power socket since it's a single socket and I also sometimes use a Widder heated waistcoat in that socket (not a problem with the RT's double socket). What are the risks in connecting it straight onto the battery? And where can I locate the unit?[/QUOTE

I'm picking up my 1200GS in December and was talking to Kevin at Rainbow about exactly the same problem. He said that their solution was to install another power socket beside the current one; apparently they cannot patch into the SWS. I seem to remember that he said that they attach the new power socket directly to the battery, I presume with an in-line fuse.

I didn't ask about where they normally install the Autocom so I can't help there.

P

Hi

Expensive but neat option would be to buy a BMW power lead for a Satnav 1. This comes with very easy connectors. The power socket lead plugs into these and they plug into the power socket.

This would leave you a lead which you could cut at the right length and solder whatever plug the Autocom needs. The advantage would be that your power would now be switched.

Cheers

Quentin

You could solder onto the back of the accessory socket, the autocom current requirements are small enough not to overload the wiring. That way the autocom would be switched with the ignition (well it goes off a few seconds after the ignition is turned off). As for where to put the unit there seems to be two places, one just behind the tank where I think the manual is supposed to go; the other is ditch the puncture repair kit and place it under the tool roll (and then install UltraSeal).
Cheers JG

Yes indeed, I did exactly this. I soldered the Autocom lead to the back of the accessory socket (making a right old mess as my soldering iron is crap). However, that delivers reliable power which switches off after however many seconds once the ignition is off - I never have to bother about it.

The Autocom unit itself is in the space vacated by the tools and puncture kit (and associated little plastic tray). These are now in a Touratech bag which nestles neatly under the rear rack.

I've also managed to squeeze my Kenwood radio in the same place.

Everything seems to work very well.

Yesterday AutoCOM wired my old system into my 1200GS using the accessory power connection - the seat wouldn't fit when we tried the unit on the back of the tank above battery so it ended up in the space formally occupied by the tool kit and it's tray.

I've ridden 40k miles on GS's and never had occaision to use the tool kit (yes I know I shouldn't tempt fate...) so this appears to be the best option.

The autoCOM kit I have is larger than the newer versions so maybe they will fit under the front of the seat?

Ant

Back
Top Bottom