KTM or Husqvarna 250 or 300???

WindyChuffer

Reaction score
OK chaps - opening a mine field here. I have a G650X which I want to change for a light weight trail bike. I fancy something a bit lighter - current bike if ~150Kg, and the smaller bikes come in at around the 100kg-110kg mark - quite a difference. Have had a G450X before, but frankly, just don't need the power. I have no intention of racing...just fun on the trails. I am aware of the servicing intervals on these small bikes...

So, thinking of a 250 or 300cc bike either new or late little used model.

Say KTM 250 or 300 OR Husqvarna 250 or 310. Am 95Kg + bike gear.

The Husky comes with a 2yr warranty, whereas the KTM is 30 days. Pricing seems comparable.

So why should I go for a KTM over the Husky?

What cc ?

Ta muchly
Mike.

wr 250 r great trail bike 12000 mile service new pre reg on e bay £4400 you dont need a ktm or husky .they are race bikes or so they tell us ,most riders would be better off on a smaller bike with less power.....:rob

wr 250 r great trail bike 12000 mile service new pre reg on e bay £4400 you dont need a ktm or husky .they are race bikes or so they tell us ,most riders would be better off on a smaller bike with less power.....:rob

Where do you get 12k service intervals from? Have downloaded WR250F manual, and oil change (plus not inconsiderable inspection) is every 1000km.

Halfpint is a fan of WRs and slipped an extra zero in there:D

They are great bikes and he's right in a decent 250 is all we need for trail riding in this country.

Halfpint is a fan of WRs and slipped an extra zero in there:D

They are great bikes and he's right in a decent 250 is all we need for trail riding in this country.

Sure but 1200miles is twice as far as 1000km !

I agree re ~250cc being enough for UK trail riding (and indeed Pyrenees).

UPDATE - Sorry, I just realised that half-pint and yourself were talking about the 250r, and I was talking about the 250f. Yam UK don't list the 'r'..... However Yam US does, but its heavy at 298 pounds (135kg). Bit too heavy for me as getting close to the G650X. If am going to change, I want something quite a but lighter.

ive got the G450 at the min and use to have the ktm 400 exc , ive got to say that although the g450x is a good bike the ktm was a different class especially on the trails as been mentioned the ktm 350 is excellent as well ,

The ktm400 to me did everything with ease and is about 108kg i think very little difference between that and the 250 :thumb

mind you if you want to buy a 2009 g450x in excellent condition including a full akro ive just the bike for you :)

wrf

you dont need to do all that service work its only if you race it ,I service my bike every 500 miles and had no problem what so ever, been away on the tossers trip to competa and only service before and after .... you just have to change the oil and air filter.. the 250 r gives longer service intervals but the weight ?? make a note of dry weight and wet weight they might not tell the full story...:rob:rob

you dont need to do all that service work its only if you race it ,I service my bike every 500 miles and had no problem what so ever, been away on the tossers trip to competa and only service before and after .... you just have to change the oil and air filter.. the 250 r gives longer service intervals but the weight ?? make a note of dry weight and wet weight they might not tell the full story...:rob:rob

Yep - am well clued up on wet / dry weight and the silly tricks the manufacturers try and pull in their spec sheets. The 250r is heavy !

The WR250R is not light because of the road kit @ 134kg wet with fuel & oil
The XChallenge is 150kg wet, but has more power & cubes

I think the op is looking for something
significantly lighter than 134kg !

why

you just need a trail bike ,not an enduro bike simple. small cc and light, easy to maintain and nearly new. you know you are going to end up with ktm , they all go orange 250 exc great bike but you have to rev them to make them work well .husky 310 get as new as poss still have to rev the feck out of them. read tbm did a test on one you might change your mind .best buy wr 250 f or ktm 400???good luck with your quest for best bike:bounce1:bounce1

Mike,

if you don't need the bike for the road miles, then why not have a look at the 300 2 strokes?

The gasgas offering is incredible in power delivery- i've ridden a few and the bottom end grunt is well on par with the XChallenge, but about 50kg's lighter.

Todd uses and abuses one. and it still keeps coming back for more :D

A few friends compete on them, and maintenance seems to run to the odd oil change for the gearbox and maybe a new set of rings each year.

I presume the ktm would be similar (the 300 is about the only bike i have ridden) though i find the front end very flighty and not confidence inspiring on the orange bikes- most unlike the XChallenge which always seems to feel very planted (though a little tricky to muscle around corners sometimes).

The huskie's have always been a bit more stable than the ktm's. if i was having another enduro bike it would be one of these.

Some friends us the 4t husky 250's in their trail riding business, and the earliest they have had to do a rebuild was 6k miles, and that was only due to the bike left running upside down in a ditch.

HTH

nathan

Mike,

if you don't need the bike for the road miles, then why not have a look at the 300 2 strokes?

The gasgas offering is incredible in power delivery- i've ridden a few and the bottom end grunt is well on par with the XChallenge, but about 50kg's lighter.

Todd uses and abuses one. and it still keeps coming back for more :D

A few friends compete on them, and maintenance seems to run to the odd oil change for the gearbox and maybe a new set of rings each year.

I presume the ktm would be similar (the 300 is about the only bike i have ridden) though i find the front end very flighty and not confidence inspiring on the orange bikes- most unlike the XChallenge which always seems to feel very planted (though a little tricky to muscle around corners sometimes).

The huskie's have always been a bit more stable than the ktm's. if i was having another enduro bike it would be one of these.

Some friends us the 4t husky 250's in their trail riding business, and the earliest they have had to do a rebuild was 6k miles, and that was only due to the bike left running upside down in a ditch.

HTH

nathan

Hi Nathan:

Good points; thx. A few things put me off 2-strokes:

- having to carry and fanny around with oil in the fuel
- as far as I can make out they tend to come with kickstart only.
- maintenance intervals

But having said that have never tried one...

Ta
Mike.

Todd uses and abuses one. and it's always in bits

There ya' go. Fixed it for you.

I ride a 525KTM which is probably a bit big for the trails, however, I can stick it in 3rd and leave it there nearly all day. It has near enough the same weight as the 400s (until you bling it with long-range fuel tanks and other gubbins)

Have you ridden many other trail bikes? On a trail run, see if you can swap for 10 mins with someone else to see what you like. I would personally go for a bigger bike as I would want to use it for road work too. I have had a DRZ400 which was a cracking machine for the trails and is reasonably light (not quite as light as the race enduro machines) and and ideal engine size.

There ya' go. Fixed it for you.

Thats a little harsh- you know he's a sensitive soul :comfort

Mike, both gasgas and ktm now do the 300 strokers with electric start to!

Have a chat with todd- he would be the best person to explain the easiest way of mixing oil on the trail.

Back
Top Bottom