Trials Tyres

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I see a lot of TRF riders use Trials Tyres, like the Pirelli MT43 on the rear

So what's best?

Trials tyres or Enduro tyres?

Here's an interesting vid, providing good evidence for Trials Tyres (albeit at a lower psi than you would run on the Trail)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UythUroeHbQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Having ridden Trials for most of my life, i'm quite used to them - but have never used them on a Trail/Enduro bike

I have a recently acquired XR250, which may be a great bike for a rear Trials tyre

Which Trials tyre is best - Pirelli MT43 or something more sticky like a Michelin X11?

I reckon a Trials tyre may work well up in Yorkshire/Peak District, because of all the stone we have on the trails, what's everyone think??

Also what pressures to run a Trials tyre on a trail bike?

Sorry for the plethora of questions, please educate me

You wouldn't get 2-3k miles from one, could get expensive:augie

You wouldn't get 2-3k miles from one, could get expensive:augie

I was thinking of using old Trials tyres, thrown away from competition but still perfectly acceptable for trailriding especially on something like the XR250

I was thinking of using old Trials tyres, thrown away from competition but still perfectly acceptable for trailriding especially on something like the XR250

Good idea, let us know how you get on with them possibly ok on the 250 taking it steady but my Berg would probably shred them.

Let me know if you want any of my old engine oil:D

Good idea, let us know how you get on with them possibly ok on the 250 taking it steady but my Berg would probably shred them.

Let me know if you want any of my old engine oil:D

Lol.......................I reckon i'm going to try it

Supposedly very good if your riding on alot of rock and I can see how they would be the tyre of choice for somewhere like Simms last week, but I don't think they would be so good around here as it gets very muddy after heavy rain. I will stick with 21's.

Devon and Cornwall TRF lads and lasses use them, and swear by them. Of course, their trails are wet bed rock covered in a greasy film of slime, but where they gain using the trials rubber, they lose on any mud.
And when they visit up here (North Wales), some of them sneak on over to the C02 Mitas.
When I've visited the South-East, I've put a worn-out C02 on and not really struggled....... except on Morden/St Dominic where i have not yet got to the top of!:eek:

the enduros i used to do were mostly held on army land, and they insisted on trials tyres. must have been afraid we'd churn the ground up, so that their tanks would get stuck.

bloody hopeless when it gets muddy. they just clog straight up. downright dangerous on salisbury plain where many were held.

of course, it could be 'cos i was no bloody good at it :D

Here's an interesting vid, providing good evidence for Trials Tyres (albeit at a lower psi than you would run on the Trail)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UythUroeHbQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bloody hell Johnny, thanks so much for that - I was having a bast*ard of a problem with golf balls pinging everywher on my rides recently - now i have the solution. I'm sure the fellahs at the local golf club will be happy to see me this time :eek:

:p Sorry, could resist it!

I have always run MT43 on the rear most common setup for down here is trial on the back enduro on the front for trail riding. I always run between 10-12psi in them

i have an mt43 in the garage that i put on each year for the swindonian ldt. first year was on a drz400 and i liked it on that bike and kept it on for a while before i sold the bike, the last 2 years put it on my xchallenge and hated it, mind you is a bit worn now so that may have something to do with it, for me once it gets a bit wet and muddy i love comp III enduro tyres though they wear quickly on tarmac.

Back
Top Bottom