Does anyone here know who Wiltshire Byway is?

Nice 'n' Fat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
only it might be a good idea for him not to film himself and his mates riding illegal lanes up on The Ridgeway :blast

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rrWMF3cGe7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's gits like this that are providing the excuse for authorities to close access to everything that doesn't have tarmac on it!:mad:

It's gits like this that are providing the excuse for authorities to close access to everything that doesn't have tarmac on it!:mad:
Alternatively its twats like this that prove TRO's arent worth the paper they are written on when it comes to stopping illegal users. They only stop those of us who ride legally...

...yet they STILL get used by local authorities in attempts to stop people on non legal bikes.:blast

Is this recent footage...?

Uploaded to YouTube 6th Sep 2011 - this is the guy's YouTube Channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/WIltshireByways#p/p

If anyone actually wanted to track these guys and do something about it it wouldn't be too difficult - you can virtually identify Jimmy aka WiltshireByways from the info on his profile (OK - I exaggerate a bit :augie) and his mates' index numbers are all lined up beautifully at 3:31 secs into the video - G765 YAE, VX57 BHF, CA51 ZFK, WX57 OKD.

There you go Wiltshire plod (who Jimmy's actually filmed 'off-roading' in a patrol car on another of his vids :blast.)!

I do wonder if that was an 'organised' as in punters paid for rideout? as the riders with him don't appear to know which way to go and there is a lot of hand gesturing re direction to take. I only think this because at the point were they come up on the horse riders (04.24) they head off to the right which is the wrong direction :augie

Is that the byway "Smeaths Ridge"?

Looks nice. Wonder why it's TRO'd.

Because they can :mad:

Dumb isn't it......TRO 80% of byways then cite the damage caused on the remaining ones as the reason to close more:blast

Open nearly all of them and the damage gets so dispersed it probably wouldn't be noticeable :rolleyes:

Yep - another one near us, recently repaired and then TRO'd. The reason is "for repairs to bed in". We rode it (accidentally, the signs weren't up) and there really is nothing wrong with it, it's a firm surface and well drained. It links up part of our lane network too, making a road detour inevitable, and no detail on when it will re-open.

Our local TRF co-operates well with the local councils, but it doesn't really help.

Had a look at the rest of his You Tube videos and to be fair I think he keeps to the legal byways from what I can see. I think they must have just poorly planned the Ridgeway - not to excuse them though.

Before I ride I check all routes for TROs etc as Wilts CC website very good and leave armed with a Satmap. Big problem I find is that because we have so many byways in Wilts that people are less likely to check routes and just expect everything to be a byway. Really irritating. Plus lots of people who just couldn't give a dam and ride where they like - bridleways, etc.

One thing I did notice is that he doesn't slow down much for walkers, which is not great to say the least.

I think they must have just poorly planned the Ridgeway - not to excuse them though.

Planned or otherwise, there was a pretty good hint for them all that they needed to stop and (re) plan:

no_vehicles.png

And it's not like there isn't a perfectly good (better in fact) alternative.

Totally agree - one of the raesons why I often ride on my own now as too many people seem to be happy to ride where they like......

I left a message yesterday asking if they had landowner permission or did he need to rethink his YT channel's mission statement. Video has been removed now.

Is that the byway "Smeaths Ridge"?

Yep that's the one :thumb2

http://swindonia.blogspot.com/2009/02/rambling-barbury-castle-and-smeathes.html

Smeathe's Ridge is not part of The Ridgeway but was adopted as part of The Ridgeway Trail. It was closed due to the errosion/damage to the lowest part of the byway which is a section between two gates. You don't see the first of the gates as they bypassed when they went to the right of the horseriders and ended up in no-mans land but you do see the 2nd gate as they exit the field before they get onto the road. Unfortunately because they vere off the original byway route you don't get to see if the erroded/damaged section has ever been repaired/re-instated

The damage between the gates had IMO mainly been caused by the farmer and the regular use by 4x4's. To be fair there are lanes in worse condition than this still legally being used in Wiltshire but that's not the point

The byway is clearly TRO'd. You can see the sign they pass at the beginning of the video :augie

I see he also appears to have removed the Cherhill byway video as well :augie

So do we believe....

a) that he and his mates are going to stop treating road traffic regulations as optional and to be obeyed only when convenient?

or:

b) he's realised that providing the evidence of his 'f*ck everyone else' attitude on-line is unwise?

Answers on a postcard please.... :drool

Back
Top Bottom