KTM 525 EXC - No horn, no headlight or full beam

dakarDude

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 525 EXC (05) has gone a bit weird on the electrics side.

In the lighting unit, all I have is the diddy parking light working. No main bulb.

Also, no horn.

I've tried two brand new bulbs.
No Joy.

I've replaced all fuses, not just the one near the airbox - all fuses replaced with brand spankers.
No joy.

All contacts cleaned.
No joy.

Battery fully charged.
Checked. No joy.

Took the left-hand kill/horn/lights on off unit off the bars, checked all wires are connected under it and cleaned the contacts. Put it back on the bike.
No joy.

Can't see any snapped wires.
Checked.

Weird bit, the parking light goes off/on if I use the kill/horn/lights switch. Still no main bulb though.

..and to confirm, I have the bike running and ticking over whilst I am trying to get the damn bulb going - still no joy.

Can anyone help me get rid of these 2 gremlins?

Thanks....

:thumb2

Had similar gremlins on my 450. i ended up taking handlebar switch off and drilling the little brass rivets out, dismantling, cleaning and rebuilding. Its a bit fiddly to do but it did the trick.

hope this helps a little

Had similar gremlins on my 450. i ended up taking handlebar switch off and drilling the little brass rivets out, dismantling, cleaning and rebuilding. Its a bit fiddly to do but it did the trick.

hope this helps a little

Cheers newbuild, will see what's what with that tonight. :thumb2

OK, I've fitted a new left-hand switch in case that was the issue (the old one was minging, so it needed a swapout anyway).

Still no joy with the switch replaced.

I've tried it tonight and no joy - no horn, no headlight, just the parking light.

Also tried disconnecting the horn in case that was causing an issue / shorting or whetever.

No joy at all.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Cheers.......

Check the ground. My 525XC had problems with dicky lights when you press the brake pedal. The rear light gets water,mud,crud etc in the socket and plays silly buggers with it.

Cleaned mine out and all the rest of the electrical gremlins disappeared. Could be something similar. TBH, there isnt much wiring on the EXC, shouldnt take too long to chase . Check the wires aren't worn through on the head stock

jim how are you mate, exc wiring looms and switches are really shite mate, used to go through them for fun, everytime you strip them down i can only suggest packing all connectors with silocone greese to stop them corroding and furing up mate, you fancying my first rider on scene course on the 16th june mate, its allllll free

jim how are you mate, exc wiring looms and switches are really shite mate, used to go through them for fun, everytime you strip them down i can only suggest packing all connectors with silocone greese to stop them corroding and furing up mate, you fancying my first rider on scene course on the 16th june mate, its allllll free

Thanks Dolly / Fireman - all sorted - my 525 is now (tomorrow actually) ready for use again following a few nice upgrades:

- Wiring loom sorted (you're right, b@stard of a job)
- Horn working
- Headlight working
- Kriega haul loop (front)
- New e-start switch
- New kill switch / horn unit
- Fresh bulbs and fuses
- Akrapovic exhaust
- Fresh pipes (2 big gaping holes in the original one)
- New mudflap
- New sprockets front and rear
- New chain and freshly lubed
- New pads and brake pad pins
- Brakes bled
- Valves done

..starts first time, and she's running like a SCARED DOG! :thumb

Fireman - still not hankering after a 690 Enduro again? Saw the post re. first rider on scene - great shout, will try and get there!

Jim the first rider on scene course will now be on sunday the 20th may at 13:00 mate, let me know through the nw section if your up for it, ref the 690 endure, been there and done it, might go for a 990 adventure r next, depends on funds.

Back
Top Bottom