My 2010 GSA's new stablemate - 2005 Husqvarna TE 450

RD.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Last Sunday I acquired a 2005 Husqvarna TE 450.

I want to try riding green lanes, byways and boats etc.

Need to get some kit, what are your recommendations?

Motocross Bike Stand.
Motocross Helmet.
Motocross Body Armour.
Motocross Boots.
Gloves.
Anti Fog / Mist Goggles.

Need to be careful with money, preferably new kit but used is good (used not abused) so what do you recommend?

I will need to travel 20+ miles to find any legal lanes and have joined the TRF website but not a subscribed member just yet.

If anybody is up for a ride in some green lanes in West Sussex, Hampshire and Surrey just send me a message. I'm a newbie to mud plugging, so please be patient. :aidan

Cheers, :beerjug:

Richard. :)

Last Sunday I acquired a 2005 Husqvarna TE 450.

I want to try riding green lanes, byways and boats etc.

Need to get some kit, what are your recommendations?

Motocross Bike Stand.
Motocross Helmet.
Motocross Body Armour.
Motocross Boots.
Gloves.
Anti Fog / Mist Goggles.

Need to be careful with money, preferably new kit but used is good (used not abused) so what do you recommend?

I will need to travel 20+ miles to find any legal lanes and have joined the TRF website but not a subscribed member just yet.

If anybody is up for a ride in some green lanes in West Sussex, Hampshire and Surrey just send me a message. I'm a newbie to mud plugging, so please be patient. :aidan

Cheers, :beerjug:

Richard. :)

Good luck with the bike- you'll have fun trying to hang on :D

There are plenty of places advertising in the back of TBM for cheap kit, and there may be some bargains about if you don't mind wearing last years colours (like it matters when it's plastered in shit?) :D

www.racespec.co.uk is worth a look, and they seem to be reasonable on most things. as are www.dirtbikebitz.com

I bought my last lid from george whites in swindon for silly money, but i'm not sure if the receivers have now closed the shop?

hth

Nathan

Sounds like you'll need some medical insurance:thumb

Good luck with the bike- you'll have fun trying to hang on :D

There are plenty of places advertising in the back of TBM for cheap kit, and there may be some bargains about if you don't mind wearing last years colours (like it matters when it's plastered in shit?) :D

www.racespec.co.uk is worth a look, and they seem to be reasonable on most things. as are www.dirtbikebitz.com

I bought my last lid from george whites in swindon for silly money, but i'm not sure if the receivers have now closed the shop?

hth

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the info and links they're very useful.

Cheers, :thumb2

Richard.

Sounds like you'll need some medical insurance:thumb

Hi,

LOL :D You are probably correct.

1). Do you speak from experience?
2). Have you owned / ridden a Husky TE 450?
3). Are you an insurance salesman or can recommend an insurance company?
4). Or all of the above? :blast :D

Hi,

Have you ridden a Husky TE 450:bounce1

Hi,

I rode a Husaberg 450 for years now ride a Husaberg 550 when/if it goes wrong, it's going to hurt:D

great bike just zip tie your thumbs to the bars and twist the grip,at full chat you may feel like a riding god , the power is in your hands. as for gear go and have gentle ride in your old bike gear you won't be so pissed off when they have to cut it to get it off.....what happened????????:beerjug:

I rode a Husaberg 450 for years now ride a Husaberg 550 when/if it goes wrong, it's going to hurt:D

But in the mean time, make hay whilst the sun shines..........I'm still making hay :thumb (and have now tempted fate!!!)

Re recommendations on kit, speaking personally, I have never got on with goggles and use an old TourX for off roading. It's practical for my 40 min ride to the trails (especially in winter) and, fitted with a fog city / pinlock it never steams up, no matter how hot and sweaty I get...........

Andres

No, not yet, only got it Sunday.

Two decades a few of my cousins did motocross, I rode a lap or two on each of their bikes (YZ, RM and CR) - at Joyce Green near Dartford and around North Weald once and it was fun but my experience it felt weird, totally different from road riding, very alien and after only a couple of laps I was knackered.

Time and mechanical advances have moved on since then so clinging on to the Husky should be fun. :eek:

I look forward to a challenge, even when I'll fall off. :bounce1

The last of the husky engined FI bikes were an absolute peach- very smooth power delivery that just kept coming. JayB on this forum had one for a while- a fantastic piece of machinery.

The early carb bikes where the spawn of satan himself.

I spent a few hours in the company of a mates bike. I've probably been dumped on my ass by that bike more than just about everything else i've ridden put together- so i'm not sure i can say i had much saddle time :D

cracking bikes though- probably want the gearing raised to soften the power.

For goggles, i've been using oakleys double glazed enduro goggles. Very fog resistant!

great bike just zip tie your thumbs to the bars and twist the grip,at full chat you may feel like a riding god , the power is in your hands. as for gear go and have gentle ride in your old bike gear you won't be so pissed off when they have to cut it to get it off.....what happened????????:beerjug:

LOL :D

But in the mean time, make hay whilst the sun shines..........I'm still making hay :thumb (and have now tempted fate!!!)

Re recommendations on kit, speaking personally, I have never got on with goggles and use an old TourX for off roading. It's practical for my 40 min ride to the trails (especially in winter) and, fitted with a fog city / pinlock it never steams up, no matter how hot and sweaty I get...........

Andres

I don't get on with goggles either so use either safety glasses or decent sunglasses. On a full on ride I can't get enough air in with the visor fitted and it hamper my view. Glad you're enjoying the 450:thumb, love my 550 even more:eek:

RD:
Get some good boots even if they're awkward and uncomfortable at first, knee/shin guards (£15), full body armour (a cracked rib hurts), thin gloves (work gloves from Lidl @£3.99), proper helmet or if you have a Tour X take the visor off ...then go for it:)

Ride at your own pace not your mates, get smooth and the speed will come.

Andres

I have three helmets (Arai RX7 Corsair - Edwards Rep, Shark Evoline Mk2 Lumi and a Davida) none of which are really suitable.

I don't get on with goggles either so use either safety glasses or decent sunglasses. On a full on ride I can't get enough air in with the visor fitted and it hamper my view. Glad you're enjoying the 450:thumb, love my 550 even more:eek:

RD:
Get some good boots even if they're awkward and uncomfortable at first, knee/shin guards (£15), full body armour (a cracked rib hurts), thin gloves (work gloves from Lidl @£3.99), proper helmet or if you have a Tour X take the visor off ...then go for it:)

Ride at your own pace not your mates, get smooth and the speed will come.

Got an old pair of Sidi Vertebra Race not suitable though and I love my Daytona Gore-Tex Road star GTX I think they are but deffo wouldn't use my road boots.
Need a pair of cumbersome crosser type boots for safety and protection methinks.

I bought a pair of Sinisalo gloves of a tosser here a while ago - Good gloves but the guy I bought the bike from recommended carrying a second pair of gloves, maybe in the event of an off the bike moment and they get wet and muddy?? :nenau

Your advice about pace and following the rider in front who may have 10 or 20 years off-roading experience is wise. :thumb2

Your advice about pace and following the rider in front who may have 10 or 20 years off-roading experience is wise. :thumb2

Wise? Wish I'd been when I first started:blast:D

The thing is, you will fall off, just protect yourself best you can afford.

A second pair of warm gloves is a good idea on a long ride but seeing as you're in the sub tropics down there......:Motomartin

You'll need waterproofs too......................it rains a lot in the UK

Preferably lightweight ones to wear over your supposed waterproof offroad gear:augie

Talking of water......................carry plenty to drink, even in winter and some energy bars

Tools....................you'll need lots of those, no AA vans in a country byway

Joyce Green (as a turn up and pay event) has all shut down now. Shame - It was away from residential housing and seemed an ideal place to put a decent track.

I'm with some of the others and don't really get on with goggles. I use a pair of mt bike glasses.

A work colleague of mine (who is also the off road instructor) is organising a pay and practise event on 01/04 at Mereworth woods in Kent if you're interested. (Army ground). It might be a good place to come for the day and safely explore your / the bikes limits. PM me if yer interested .... :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom