KTM no good for heavy riders?

Granny

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have read on some web site or other that the standard supension cannot cope with very heavy riders. Are there any 990 adventure riders out there in the 250lbs plus range with experience? Am I stuck with BMW with the ESA on "rider and pillion" to cope with my excesses.
Kind ,understanding and helpful comments gratefully recieved.

I have read on some web site or other that the standard supension cannot cope with very heavy riders. Are there any 990 adventure riders out there in the 250lbs plus range with experience? Am I stuck with BMW with the ESA on "rider and pillion" to cope with my excesses.

can easily get it re sprung for your weight

Im 6'6" and vary between 18-19 stone
I fly about with my 12 year old pillion and 3 full boxes if on a trip
Just wind up the preload and enjoy :beerjug:

No chance of that happening chunky...:D

The big Katoom (unlike it's GS cousin) is the lean, mean, bad boy machine of the big Adv bike market and it's riders tend to be likewise. :thumb

Get yourself down the gym big guy and shed a few pounds. You will enjoy the orange beast all the more if you can slim down a bit. :thumb2

go to gym,

ride the ktm for while, see how you find the suspension 1st

Measure the static say, then get a mate, sit on the bike and get him check the race sag on the bike.

look up SUPENSION SETUP on google and do a quick check 1st

you might find that better setup of inital suspension could sort you out

will also help you decide if need springs etc to make it right for you

I rode a 60k miles 990 and it felt soft for my stocky :thumb2 build. But I could tell that the WP units were quality and I am sure a lower mileage one should be ok once I had wound the preload up :blagblah

In prep for my ride to Ulaanbatar I had MH Suspension just fit a stronger/stiffer spring on my 950S to cope with my 97kg plus potential luggage. Job done.

I rode a 60k miles 990 and it felt soft for my stocky :thumb2 build. But I could tell that the WP units were quality and I am sure a lower mileage one should be ok once I had wound the preload up :blagblah

some miles for one of them, whoes bike and where is it now with miles?

My weight is anything from 17.5-18st without bike gear on. Do i think the bike can't cope? Of course it can and then some.
The front forks could probably do with being resprung but that's more if really pushing it hard off tarmac....harder than I can push it.

contact " grumpy old man" on advrider or on ktmforum.co.uk

he is a BIG lad and has a 950 and SE standard suspension AFAIK with no issues

ktm heavy riders

950 se can cope with my bulk 28 stone or 180kg infact the rear feels quite firm in comparison to the gs1150 adv with ohlins and a new 160nm rear spring,i assume the adv katoom is similar in set up to the 950se,140nm spring on it

Back
Top Bottom