Optimate on RT ?

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm now in possession of a lovely 2005 RT.

I want to keep it plugged in to my Optimate 4 on a trickle charge as I have my GSA and KTM.

So I plug the Optimate into the power socket as per GSA and nothing !!

I seem to recall that more modern BMs won't charge in this way for some reason.

Is there any reason for this/way round it ?

If not,where's the f*****g battery hidden ?

:augie

Ta

The battery has now been moved to a sensible position. Right under the seat.

It is on my 09 RT anyway.

RobC

You will need to connect it direct to the battery. It will work fine then:thumb2

Heres how you get to the f"""""g battery :thumb

http://xs-adventure.com/motorcycle/bmw-R1150RT-battery-replacement

my 2002 charges straight into the bmw socket so they must have changed something but theres nowt like a bit of soldering when it's frosty

red
Nice article on batteries Red.

‘Judge’ of this forum found a supplier of Exide batteries at reasonable cost here

I put it off all last year but I’ll have to have one this spring (that’s about 6 years use) :(

If the bike has the canbus fluid recently changed, you have to follow the handshake procedure between the charger and the bike, in order to connect it via the lighter port. OR go to the battery directly and you're done.

Dan.

The new Optimate 4 plus is Canbus friendly. Despite the fact that I have it the Canbus mode runs at a lower charge rate. I have mine wired direct the battery. Works a treat.

Thanks for the replies – as you say the battery is easy to get to under the seat – I've now hardwired my Garmin Nuvi with a USB cable to the battery and also bought a new plug-in for the Optimate so I can plug that straight in to the RT.
Cheers guys

Thanks for the replies – as you say the battery is easy to get to under the seat – I've now hardwired my Garmin Nuvi with a USB cable to the battery and also bought a new plug-in for the Optimate so I can plug that straight in to the RT.
Cheers guys

Not sure about the RT but I assume there is an accessory socket under the beak somewhere and I would be inclined to wire your GPS there. It is ignition switched and it only takes once to forget you have left the GPS on. You can get a CANBUS power cable from the dealer or Nippy Normans. Battery chargers are different since you want to bypass the electronics on the bike and go directly to the source.

Cheers guys

The way you have written that it almost sounds as though you have the bike's 12v running into the Nuvi's USB!

Back
Top Bottom