Screen problem, can anyone help please?

XboxSteve

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got an 06 1200RT and I have broken the right-hand short linkage rod that attaches to the horizontal hexagonal bar the the motor turns.

It's marked as #7 on this link (though the image shows the LEFT rod):- http://www.bmwmcchattanooga.com/images/parts/bmw/fullsize/151383.jpg

Have any of you replaced this part? If so, how does it come off?

I see it has a nut shape at the end, but its VERY tight and I don't want to force it and break something else.

Any ideas please?

Cheers
Steve

How did you break that?

Be interesting to hear how you get on.

Motorworks might have some spares if you don't want to go new...

\v/

Helllo Steve,
got me a little puzzled with this one. First off I have never heard of a "Lower" arm breaking. Secondly my own parts fiche shows that the lower arm (item 7) is secured to the Hexagonal drive shaft with a "Clip" (item 13) on my parts fiche. I have replaced the "Upper Arms" with stronger ones as these are the ones that are prone to breaking, usually after fitting larger after market screens. During fitting I did have everthing stripped down as I even opened up the plastic "gearbox" to grease the worm gears inside. During this work I can't remember seeing any "nut" shaped fastener at the end of the Shaft. Are you sure that the "Nut" shape you are seeing is not just the end of the Hex Shaft ?. I have just had a look through the fairing but it is difficult to to see without stripping out the screen and other plastic parts. The mod sethmopp is refering to is replacement of the "Upper Arms", not the one you are having the problem with. Let us know how you get on. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

Last edited:
Our Gee,

Well, still not fixed but I am a bit wiser now.
I too found that the upper arms can be replaced with stronger ones, I see our American cousins have had these break in the past.

I stripped the whole of the front end getting the screen motor section off.
I tried to remove the nut piece originally, but yes, it's the end of the hex shaft.

I took off the clips but the lower arms will not budge. I even took the assembly to Bahnstormer in Bracknell and (I heard noises coming from their basement) they couldn't get it off.

This I thought was weird as I was able to buy a single lower right (of the bike) arm from Martin at Motoworks (Thanks for your help Martin).

Why can I buy the part, if the arm doesn't come off ???

Anyway, from the microfiche, I need to buy assembly #9.
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsThumb/B0004094.png?v=03252011

This is a bit of a pain in the arse after I have just replaced the headlight unit (how I came to break the lower arm), but hey ho. I'm learning the hard way.

Cheers for all of your input
Steve

Crikey, that's a bummer Steve, the assembly covered under item 9 comes in at around $238 in U.S. prices. As you have the new replacement arm in your hand I take it that the "bore" is hexagon to fit onto the shaft rod. As this is only secured by circlips it must be an "interference fit". I would try introducing local heat to the arm and using a "puller" to see if that budges it. Bear in mind that the gears inside the plastic gearbox are nylon / tuffnol, (if I remember rightly) so be careful if you adopt this route.

Coud you cut the old one off?

Hack saw slot as far as you dare both sides then a quick tap and I bet it'll come away. Then your left with the problem of fitting the new one?
\v/

Coud you cut the old one off?

Hack saw slot as far as you dare both sides then a quick tap and I bet it'll come away. Then your left with the problem of fitting the new one?
\v/

Hmm, will give this a go first.
If it works, I owe you a few beers!

Well I got the bugger off. I used a hammer and a centrepunch to knock it through from the inside.

Now to get the new part on :nenau

Back
Top Bottom