Gone to the Dark (grey) Side

Ross Dean

Reaction score
Being self employed in a trade associated with development has its ups - I am the boss - and its downs - irregular and delayed payments. Payments were so irregular and delayed around July to September that I had to sell my relatively new BMW F800GS which was a bit of an adventure. The day before the sale I has far too close contact with a BMW car on a roundabout while riding my partners F800R which left me with a broken collar bone and her with a relatively light insurance claim for low speed, side-on damage to the bike - also a bit of an adventure!

However, I have just put down a deposit on a second hand 1998 reg grey KTM 990 and am feeling SO much better. It's a bit basic compared to the bikes I have bought up until now (4 BMWs and 1 Ducati) but, from my one hour road based test ride, it seems very focussed.

To all those with whom I shared the rides in the Peak District and Salisbury Plain this past year, Burtie Boy who organised a Cotswolds ride a bid earlier, and to the South West Forum members, I am looking forward to riding with you again this year.

Bloody fantastic bike - as a previous Ducati owner (2) the engine is the "Ducati" of the off road world - awesome.

Welcome to the Dark Side - life is good.

There has been a bit of a change - I found a better deal on a 2007 KTM 990 from Premier Bikes in Didcot so have gone with that one instead. A word about the dealer who was going to sell me the 2008 990 - Bridge Motorcycles in Exeter. I phoned them with the bad news this morning and they accepted that they could not compete on price with the deal I had found and are refunding my deposit - a professional approach that I appreciate.

There has been a bit of a change - I found a better deal on a 2007 KTM 990 from Premier Bikes in Didcot so have gone with that one instead. A word about the dealer who was going to sell me the 2008 990 - Bridge Motorcycles in Exeter. I phoned them with the bad news this morning and they accepted that they could not compete on price with the deal I had found and are refunding my deposit - a professional approach that I appreciate.

You are lucky to be getting your deposit back as normally these are non-refundable, and when a dealer takes a deposit they remove the bike from sale.

Turning the scenario around, you'd be pissed if a dealer took your deposit, sold the bike to someone else, then gave your deposit back.

Just a thought...

Either way, hope you enjoy the new bike !

stop stop stop

Im on my second 990 love the bike and love the fact you dont see them everywhere you go....but come on guys keep this quiet or every GS riding weekend warrior is gonna be coming to the darkside.........

Have you had a test ride on it yet??

My previous 08 990 had the dreaded flaky FI (common on 06-08 bikes) no end of known mods would make it much smoother. This included G2 throttle cam, removal of secondary butterflys, 15 min idle etc etc (search Orange Crush on Adv Rider and the UK KTM forum for details).

Gave up in the end and bought a nice smooth 950 carb bike. :beerjug:

Hope yours is one of the better one's :thumb2

Have you had a test ride on it yet??

My previous 08 990 had the dreaded flaky FI (common on 06-08 bikes) no end of known mods would make it much smoother. This included G2 throttle cam, removal of secondary butterflys, 15 min idle etc etc (search Orange Crush on Adv Rider and the UK KTM forum for details).

Gave up in the end and bought a nice smooth 950 carb bike. :beerjug:

Hope yours is one of the better one's :thumb2

No is the short answer - sometimes you just have to take a decision - I bought it over the phone and my test ride will be the (cold) trip from Premier Bikes near Oxford back to North Devon this coming Saturday. I did test ride the 08 bike I was going to buy from Bridge in Exeter. It was a snarling beast that rewarded a bit of thought on throttle and clutch and was obviously a lot less civilised round town that my previous F800GS but no worse than my old Ducati Monster with the 998 engine. On the open road it was excellent. It was a bit basic but that is half the appeal. Carbs are great until you have to buy rubbish fuel or go to high altitudes so I'll take the FI. What could go wrong :)

No is the short answer - sometimes you just have to take a decision - I bought it over the phone and my test ride will be the (cold) trip from Premier Bikes near Oxford back to North Devon this coming Saturday. I did test ride the 08 bike I was going to buy from Bridge in Exeter. It was a snarling beast that rewarded a bit of thought on throttle and clutch and was obviously a lot less civilised round town that my previous F800GS but no worse than my old Ducati Monster with the 998 engine. On the open road it was excellent. It was a bit basic but that is half the appeal. Carbs are great until you have to buy rubbish fuel or go to high altitudes so I'll take the FI. What could go wrong :)

Hope it goes well for you mate.

Keep us posted with your first and emerging thoughts - good and bad !

990 fueling is something everyone keeps banging on about,its a snatchy throttle thats all takes a bit of getting used to,the mods help,drop the front sprocket to a 16 tooth from the standard 17 and the throttle cam change is all you need,these bikes are beasts,agreed the 950 is smoother but im on my second 990 and these things are solid tough and get a serious hurry up when required,totaly different bike from any GS imo....you wont be disappointed.

So, how was it for me?

Just back. Did I like the bike? Rode the 178 miles back from Didcot with a couple of stops and keeping to the M4 and M5 because of the freezing temperatures. Parked up, got in and phoned Premier Bikes to thank them for an excellent bike, phoned my partner (also a biker) to tell her I was safe. Stood around for a few minutes ... then took the bike down to Morrisons because I was missing it!

More details on my initial thoughts later. I am about to sit down with a glass of wine and read the owners handbook :)

I took this after arriving home

KTM005.jpg

For those interested:

2007 990 Adventure with about 14,500 miles on the clock with crash bars, touring screen, heated grips, KTM tank bag, KTM panniers, a sat nav mount and Akrapovic exhausts. Fitted at my request were an extra power socket on the offside side pannel (for my heated under jacket) and a scottoiler.

Stood around for a few minutes ... then took the bike down to Morrisons because I was missing it!

More details on my initial thoughts later. I am about to sit down with a glass of wine and read the owners handbook :)

And that's how life should be:clap:clap:clap

Just back. Did I like the bike? Rode the 178 miles back from Didcot with a couple of stops and keeping to the M4 and M5 because of the freezing temperatures. Parked up, got in and phoned Premier Bikes to thank them for an excellent bike, phoned my partner (also a biker) to tell her I was safe. Stood around for a few minutes ... then took the bike down to Morrisons because I was missing it!

KTM005.jpg

For those interested:

2007 990 Adventure with about 14,500 miles on the clock with crash bars, touring screen, heated grips, KTM tank bag, KTM panniers, a sat nav mount and Akrapovic exhausts. Fitted at my request were an extra power socket on the offside side pannel (for my heated under jacket) and a scottoiler.

Nice garage!! How big is your house? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom