S10- Tried one at last

wust588

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, I finally got a test ride on the often discussed S10.
It was a s/hand low mileage example, and I was very impressed with it.
I didn't have a very long ride (maybe 20 miles or so) but it was much better than I expected it to be.
I thought I'd be put off by the weight and height (I'm just over 5ft 7") and had no trouble at all.
The way the bike loses it's weight as soon as you move is astounding.
I expected it to be flat (if you believe the road tests) but even in "T" mode, goes very well.
The engine and gearbox are superb, although a bit noisy going in to first gear.
It was too cold to go any great distance, and the bike hadn't heated grips.
I'd go as far as saying that it (IMO) is superior to the '09- 1200GS I used to have.
The GS was a superb bike, but the S10 power unit and drive train outclass it.
One or two niggles, apart from noisy first gear engagement; for me the throttle cables obscure part of the clocks ; and the spokes would be better in stainless steel.
All I have to do now is to make up my mind whether to take the plunge!

Have taken the plunge, and bought the bike in question.
Hopefully will pick the bike up sometime next week.
Another member of the team!

I bought a blue one.
I hadn't the funds for a new one so was limited to what (few) were available second hand.
When I started looking there were a couple of white ones (my preferred colour) but these were just shy of 10K a piece, and out of my price range.
As it happens I do like the blue versions, so settled on one in nice order, and a fair price, not far from me.
Can hardly wait.

Finally have the beast in the garage, after collecting it Monday.
Haven't had a lot of chance to ride it just yet, but had the first chance to cast my eye over all the detail stuff.
During the only miles done so far, one niggle stands out, namely the throttle cables obscuring the instruments.
I can't for the life of me understand why Yamaha made such a poor job of this feature.
Perhaps somebody will come up with a re-design.
I might also keep an eye out for some silver lower cowlings to try, instead of the black ones.
I'll post more of my findings when I've ridden it more.

Back
Top Bottom