What Fuel ? :-))

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Feel free to rip the piss-my RT has a sticker on the tank saying to use Super Bonsai 98 or whatever.

As Super Unleaded seems harder to get hold of these days,whats wrong with good old 95 ?

Never used super in any GS so why does the RT 'need" 98 ?

Feel free to rip the piss-my RT has a sticker on the tank saying to use Super Bonsai 98 or whatever.

As Super Unleaded seems harder to get hold of these days,whats wrong with good old 95 ?

If it says 98 then that's the one to use - 95 will work fine but you will get slightly less power and slightly worse fuel consumption - that's what the manual says for my 2010 1200GS - I guess it is the same for the 2010 or later RT.

You cannot get 98 in Ireland ( republic of ) but my rt runs fine on 95 so did my gs and GSA JJH

I'm sure it said somethink like that on my 2004 1150gsa, appears to be a beemer thing.

and to pre empt the next question,

only the best Olive oil so it smells nice when you waft past.

:)

I buy higher octane when I see it, but have pretty much run mine on 95 since I got it...

Probably average 100 miles a day on an RT using 95. Only blown up one engine in six years :D

97/8 has a more controllable burn than 95. RT has more plastics on it and using a lower octane fuel can make the engine run unevenly, causing vibrations which manifest themselves in panel squeak/rattle.

There is a lot of plastic on an RT.:D

Tell us more!

Probably average 100 miles a day on an RT using 95. Only blown up one engine in six years :D

Was it you or manufacturer?

(By the way, in 5 years with 1200RT, I have never put anything except 95 octane in it.)

Myke

Give it a try

Was it you or manufacturer?

(By the way, in 5 years with 1200RT, I have never put anything except 95 octane in it.)

Myke

Don't know the technicalities of the RT but it is entirely possible these days for the engine management system to run a different map it it detects a higher octane fuel. First came across this when I succumbed to my mid life crisis an bought an Impreza Turbo back in '98. Put super unleaded in that and it went from being quick to bloody quick. The engine management system could detect the higher octane fuel via the knock sensor and not only altered it's settings but also allowed a higher level of boost by altering the settings in the electrically controlled waste gate- probably why I averaged 18 mpg over the two years I had the thing!

If you want to check it out on the bike wait until the tank is almost empty, fill with super and give it a blast-it will take a while for the system to respond if it is going too. Then brim the tank again and ride normally-you may find you get better mpg.

On my second Impreza (2003 with full prodrive upgrades!) I got my average up to 23 mpg or 25 on super. The later model was more powerful and more economical but somehow not as much fun as the 98 model

John

BMW advise 98 RON to lessen engine harshness which can lead to the customer complaint or "fairing panels squeaking"

The engine will quite happily run on 95 RON :thumb2

my 05 bike hand book said it needed 98 octane to run properly, and it did.
The 07 bike says 95 octane , and it runs just fine. I suspect some jiggery pokery with the engine management burn sequence on the newer bike.
Mind you ,the 05 engine blew up after three months, so it was a bit of a dud.

BMW advise 98 RON to lessen engine harshness which can lead to the customer complaint or "fairing panels squeaking"

The engine will quite happily run on 95 RON :thumb2

Erm, did i not just say that?:blast

How are you mate! I'm going to Bath & west tomorrow if you fancy it...

Don't know the technicalities of the RT but it is entirely possible these days for the engine management system to run a different map it it detects a higher octane fuel. First came across this when I succumbed to my mid life crisis an bought an Impreza Turbo back in '98. Put super unleaded in that and it went from being quick to bloody quick. The engine management system could detect the higher octane fuel via the knock sensor and not only altered it's settings but also allowed a higher level of boost by altering the settings in the electrically controlled waste gate- probably why I averaged 18 mpg over the two years I had the thing!

If you want to check it out on the bike wait until the tank is almost empty, fill with super and give it a blast-it will take a while for the system to respond if it is going too. Then brim the tank again and ride normally-you may find you get better mpg.

On my second Impreza (2003 with full prodrive upgrades!) I got my average up to 23 mpg or 25 on super. The later model was more powerful and more economical but somehow not as much fun as the 98 model

John

Hmmmm.....

The problem with lowering the RON (Rating Octane Number) is the burn becomes 'uncontrollable'. The lower the RON the less resistant the fuel is to ignition, i.e. it explodes before you want it to. This results in the ECU detecting this via knock control and backing off the ignition timing. Adding 97/8 RON simply means the resistance to ignition is raised, resulting in no or little knock, which means the ECU can run the engine using a more advanced ignition angle, making it appear quicker/cleaner.

I'll get my coat...........:augie

Better to stay and learn!

Hmmmm.....

The problem with lowering the RON (Rating Octane Number) is the burn becomes 'uncontrollable'. The lower the RON the less resistant the fuel is to ignition, i.e. it explodes before you want it to. This results in the ECU detecting this via knock control and backing off the ignition timing. Adding 97/8 RON simply means the resistance to ignition is raised, resulting in no or little knock, which means the ECU can run the engine using a more advanced ignition angle, making it appear quicker/cleaner.

I'll get my coat...........:augie

Actually modern engine management is a lot cleverer than that, its not just the ignition timing that it adjusts, they were doing that 20 years ago. The whole map for injection and ignition can be changed which can and does produce real gains in power or if that power is not used to the full, gains in fuel economy.

John

John

RT 98 ron

98 ron gets full 110bhp
95 ron gets 100 bhp
Its all in the manual you pays your money and takes your choice but if you want full power you need 98 ron.

For what most of you girls do with your Rt's 95 and 100 bhp will do!
lol
:)

Back
Top Bottom