Topbox key

fartoofastforme

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I have a bmw top-box & have the plastic bmw key, and only one of, can they be copied ? Dont like the idea of not having a spare.

ally top box

Hi anyone know how to get the barrel out of the lock on an ally bmw top box to rekey it cheers:blast:nenau

Jeez what a lot of fcuking about! Take it to the dealer and let them do it!
Sorry it looks a bit complicated, the page had to evolve because of the number of people emailing me with questions :blast I don’t get so many now :)

Re keying.

Can you offer any advice on how to proceed when the original key is not present?.
I have bought a 2nd hand 49 litre top box with no keys to it. The box is unlocked and can be opened. (cannot be fixed to the bike either as the bottom fixings are in the closed position).
In your guide to re-keying it says to put the key in and turn to the locked position, which i can't do as the key is absent, meaning the little release hole for the bent paperclip is not accessible. My key goes in but will not turn,as it is the wrong one obviously.
Any advice appreciated.
I had wondered about removing the inner part of the box to creep up on the lock from behind ha, it looks simple enough but not sure how many bits inside are spring loaded etc.
Thanks

You need to find the correct key for your lock so I would suggest that you take it to your local dealer and ask them if you can check all the keys in their stock cupboard. Once you have found the correct key get them to remove the lock and re-code it to your ignition key :thumb

Some people will tell you that there are 7 million different variations and that to do this will be impossible. I bought a locked 2nd hand set of K1200R/S panniers and found that the 3rd key I tried at my local dealers fitted and they were then able to remove the locks so I could sell the panniers on :augie

Can you offer any advice on how to proceed when the original key is not present?.
I have bought a 2nd hand 49 litre top box with no keys to it. The box is unlocked and can be opened. (cannot be fixed to the bike either as the bottom fixings are in the closed position).
In your guide to re-keying it says to put the key in and turn to the locked position, which i can't do as the key is absent, meaning the little release hole for the bent paperclip is not accessible. My key goes in but will not turn,as it is the wrong one obviously.
Any advice appreciated.
I had wondered about removing the inner part of the box to creep up on the lock from behind ha, it looks simple enough but not sure how many bits inside are spring loaded etc.
Thanks

Finally got it sorted. The BMW dealer option is to drill it out as they don't stock a range of keys and no master key is available. Problem is that when you drill it out there is a 50/50 chance of wrecking the box and/or the mechanism.
Didn't fancy that option so a local mechanic took the whole lot to bits and got the barrel out and re-coded it to my key. 10 minutes to re-code the lock and approx 3-4 hrs dismantling/re-assembling the box, although it was a learning curve for the mechanic.
Presumably the labour charges from BMW make it uneconomic to dismantle it.

Back
Top Bottom