Turn-by-turn navigation

Timbo

Reaction score
How good is Turn-by-turn navigation? Is it worth paying the added money for this or would the StreetPilot be a better buy? If t-b-t navigation is worth it then looks like I'm stuck with a V as I can't afford the Streetpilot III, even for Christmas.

Turn by turn is amazing, well I think so anyway. I have used it for finding my clients houses and for touring through Europe a couple of times now. Great! The only time I got let down was when I didn't take notice and thought I knew best, gps was right everytime. By the way I have the BMW Navigator and from what I know GPS V is just as good in that respect.

Go for it.

Without a doubt, turn by turn is worth having. On the SPIII you get voice prompts, as well as accurate pictorials of the junction/roundabout/whatever you are approaching with your turn clearly marked.

The routing is good too.

GFI

Greg

Here, here Greg, it even shows the shape of the roundabout!!

darren said:
it even shows the shape of the roundabout!!

Yes, hard as it was at first to believe, but every roundabout and junction in the UK seems to has an accurate pictorial!!

Greg

Take a look at the Garmin GPS196MAP. It will, apparently, do everything the V and Street Pilot does, does not need unlock codes and costs $900 in the USA. I have not found a price in this country yet. It has the same casing as the 176 so the Touratec mount will work. Check the spec on their web site.

Turn-byturn navigation

The Garmin 196 is being advertised at £739.95 by

http://www.transair.co.uk

I saw one a couple of weeks ago. Only thing is that you have to add on the cost of a memory card, Mapsource Metro Guide CD and a USB reader - almost £400 I think - to make best use of it. This brings it to around same price as a Streetpilot 3.

I currently have a Garmin 176 on trial. It's mentioned elsewhere in this forum. It's a nice item but I'm currently trying to decide myself whether to pay the extra and upgrade to the SP3 with the autorouting and colour screen. So, back to the original question that started off this thread - turn by turn navigation, is it worth it???

Steve

Only thing is that you have to add on the cost of a memory card, Mapsource Metro Guide CD and a USB reader - almost £400 I think

From ebay:

64mb card approx £85
Metro Uk approx £40
Metro Euro approx £70
reader approx £50

So if turn-by-turn is great looks like I'm stuck with the V. No way can I justify £700+ at the moment have just shelled out 7 big ones on the GS.

What can you get on the V for the 19MB. Does the UK fit for general use. When overseas presumably you can down (or is that up) load specific parts of European maps to cover the bits you're likley to use? Sorry if this is a daft question but I know virtually nothing about GPS systems at the moment (apart from the fact that I want one!)

The whole of England and Wales is 19mb from Birmingham down using Mapsource Roads and Rec and a massive 45mb using Mapsource Metroguide.

When you're overseas or away from you're computer and you leave the area you've downloaded yer goosed.

As nice as Auto Route probably is, this is why I believe having more memory is more important .

The Garmin 176 takes memory cards and is £20 cheaper than the V. It's GoTo function will get you there as well as Auto Route in conjunction with the larger screen.

Russ.

Timbo said:
What can you get on the V for the 19MB. Does the UK fit for general use. When overseas presumably you can down (or is that up) load specific parts of European maps to cover the bits you're likley to use? Sorry if this is a daft question but I know virtually nothing about GPS systems at the moment (apart from the fact that I want one!)
In base form a European spec unit has what is known as the Atlantic Base Map, motorways and A roads with all major towns and cities, but no great detail. Whilst there is nothing stopping you using turn-by-turn on the basemap you'll find it has an inherent inaccuracy (approx 0.5 of a mile) fine when navigating a motorway or desert, not great when navigating a town or city.

In detailed map form how much area you can download to you V depends on the density of the area, for instance I had London plus North Kent, Surrey & Berkshire (Reading) and that was 18MB.

For your holibobs you can select maps for your chosen destination but to do this you over-write your existing data. I found a full download takes upwards of 50 minutes to complete.

If you're buying new find yourself a deal on a deluxe thus saving yourself a $180 unlock fee for the detailed maps for the rest of Europe.

I loved my V once I got used to its shortcomings but have now upgraded to the SPIII (thought I'd snared a bargain), the III is a dedicated turn-by-turn navigator as opposed to the V which is a IMHO a highly versatile GPS unit far more suited to the world of the adventure traveller.

My current opinion of the SPIII might be tinged by my minimal two-week experience of it and the fact that is has proved troublesome, and is now in Garmin Hospital for no doubt more weeks than I've owned it plus the fact that I had just shelled out to unlock Europe on my V and am now faced with doing it again with the SPIII, only this time it is a lot more cash for the privilege!! :mad:

Just had the following from Garmin re:- 196MAP

"Yes, the GPSMap196 is compatible with the MapSource Roads and Recreation Europe and USA Roads and Recreation however please bear in mind that the above-mentioned mapping software products do not support the advanced find functions i.e. they will not search for addresses on the GPS unit and provide turn by turn navigation.
The software that was designed for street level mapping on the GPSMap196 is the MapSource City Select software which will supply turn-by-turn navigation.

The Atlantic GPSMap 196 is compatible with both American MapSource and European MapSource mapping products. "

Looks like the 176 is more suitable and cheaper if you need to add your own mapping.

Back
Top Bottom