Route advice -

stick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Please excuse the need to ask but this area is new to me so thought i would check this part of my planning with people who have ridden the area.

I have planned our 2012 France trip and followed the advice on various threads with regard to places to see etc.I have come up with the following ( mainly yellow roads)
Cean > Avallon > Annecy > Bourg Saint Maurice > Embrun >Grasse > Rencurel (Vercours)
> Bourges > Arrowmanche > Home

Most routes between sorted but the one i would like some advice with is the Grasse to Rencurel as its around 300 miles , the distance is no problem but is it viable . Will be two up R1200gs but not in a group so pace will be good.I have done 300 mile days in the Pyrenees before but new the Alps
I have attached the rough route so any comments would be good ( be nice :) )

Thanks in advance

I have had to split the route into two as i could not upload the complete route.

Attachments

• Grasse to Gap.gdb
    142 KB · Views: 58
  • Gap to Rencurel.gdb
    94.9 KB · Views: 47
I think your overstretching it, the roads in places are very twisty and slow going, particulary around Castellene and the gorges. Im doing this route again in June with 3 others and have allowed another day as we want to see some of the sights and take a few pics etc.
Have a good one anyway.

+1 Those sort of distances in this type of region are OK if non stop riding is your thing and being worn out at the end of the day due to mega concentration is acceptable. However, you'll be missing out on some of the wonderful sights and scenes etc not to mention soaking up the atmosphere. As Peter before me says though - have a good one. :thumb

I can't open Mapsource at work, so I can't tell which way you plan on going.

But from a non-motorway, avoiding tolls routing and a very quick look at Grasse to Rencurel (on the dreaded Google maps) it shows closer to 200 miles.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...=Rencurel&dirflg=ht&doflg=ptm&mra=luc&t=m&z=8

Either way, you likely real average moving speed on roads like the ones you plan on taking (I guess, which is always dangerous) will be between 30 to 35mph.

A 300 mile ride will be about 10 hours, assuming no problems. So pencil in a decently early start... no kipping in your pit until 10AM. Either way, the Vercours is nice once you get there. I think I shoved up a brief article on it, along with some pictures etc.

I did: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154666 See post #21 etc.

I see that I said it was 'A brisk morning's ride from Digne Les Bains' which is about 125 miles, which would seem about right. So, Grasse to Renurel at 200 is going to be a brisk day's ride.... I (along with assorted chums, including a very brisk lady on a Kwacka 600) certainly went back to Digne Les Baines on the same day, which would have been 250 all in..... You'll do it :thumb2

Last edited:
Advice

Many thanks for the tips - i will look at the routes again . As commented 300 will be a little high as added the Gorges , oh well just means another , night in with a pack off beer , my maps , google ................. cant wait :friday

Happy Days as one wheels enough !!!!!!!

I don't mean to contradict anyone, but everyone has different riding styles. I went from Cannes-Gap-Grenoble-Chambery-Geneva-Freiburg a distance of around 500 miles, all in one day. Now I was on my own, I don’t smoke, only stopped for petrol and one other time to set up a video camera. So I was making a very good average MPH, my aim was to enjoy the twisties rather than sightseeing. That said I did get to see some beautiful scenery. I can't remember how long it took, but it was still light when I got to Freiburg.
So depending on how many stops, and detours off the main track you want to take! I would say it’s within your reach. Give it a try and see how far you get at least.

Whatever you do enjoy it.

:aidan

I don't mean to contradict anyone, but everyone has different riding styles. I went from Cannes-Gap-Grenoble-Chambery-Geneva-Freiburg a distance of around 500 miles, all in one day. Now I was on my own, I don’t smoke, only stopped for petrol and one other time to set up a video camera. So I was making a very good average MPH, my aim was to enjoy the twisties rather than sightseeing. That said I did get to see some beautiful scenery. I can't remember how long it took, but it was still light when I got to Freiburg.
So depending on how many stops, and detours off the main track you want to take! I would say it’s within your reach. Give it a try and see how far you get at least.

Whatever you do enjoy it.

:aidan

You must have a big arse, mines would be soooo painful by then lol. :jager

From my trip last year on the days we were in mountain regions the average speeds ranged from 32mph to 38mph, not looked at your routes but these figures are from 6 days and about 1200 miles.

Riding twisty passes in a loop tends to be the lower end, journey's from one location to another tend to sit at the higher end as you take less really minor roads.

The speeds are from the sat-nav and described as "moving average" so excludes stops, and possibly sitting at traffic lights / junctions (I have not read up on how long you need to sit still for the timer to stop)

I also seem to average about 15 minutes stopped for every hour moving plus an extra 30 minutes for lunch if it is a full days riding, so if you work out 35mph as a fair average 200 miles is about 5.75 hours riding and in my case 1.75 hours buggering about with fuel stops, cups of coffee and taking pictures adding up to about an 8 hour day.

Bad weather and getting lost could add more time, I try not to plan much more than 200 for a day in mountains with 250 being the most I would plan for any route I had not previously ridden.

Advice

From my trip last year on the days we were in mountain regions the average speeds ranged from 32mph to 38mph, not looked at your routes but these figures are from 6 days and about 1200 miles.

Riding twisty passes in a loop tends to be the lower end, journey's from one location to another tend to sit at the higher end as you take less really minor roads.

The speeds are from the sat-nav and described as "moving average" so excludes stops, and possibly sitting at traffic lights / junctions (I have not read up on how long you need to sit still for the timer to stop)

I also seem to average about 15 minutes stopped for every hour moving plus an extra 30 minutes for lunch if it is a full days riding, so if you work out 35mph as a fair average 200 miles is about 5.75 hours riding and in my case 1.75 hours buggering about with fuel stops, cups of coffee and taking pictures adding up to about an 8 hour day.

Bad weather and getting lost could add more time, I try not to plan much more than 200 for a day in mountains with 250 being the most I would plan for any route I had not previously ridden.

Rasher , many thanks for the tips i have looked at the 200 mark over the high cols etc so i am working on the right lines , thanks again , have read your travel post and looked great.
Stick

Sound advice

Great advice, and should be required reading for those coming to the Alps for the first time.

I offer 35 plus suggested day routes from here with only a couple exceeding 200 miles. As you say it's enough in the mountains, some of my routes are only around 120 miles but can take all day if people stop off at just some of the amazing places along the route. I accept it's down to personal preferences but I think if you are going to ride all the way to the Alps then having time to stop and stare when you get here should be part of the plan. Having said that I have, on several occasions, produced longer routes especially for those who just want to ride with minimal stops.

It's your holiday and the idea is to enjoy it. If that means riding all day, get on with it, there are so many good roads in the Alps you will be spoilt for choice. If you want to explore the area (wherever you are) then there are minor roads, fascinating places and breathtaking views everywhere you look.

We do get quite a few riders who are in the Alps for the first time. Most will listen to my advice about average speeds, some find out the hard way! I might just print out Rasher's comments and hand it out. (Would that be OK Rasher?) That way it's not just some old fart with an 1150GS telling them.

John

Back
Top Bottom