Sat Nav Power

Riktus

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning Gents

When I bought the RT (1200 / 2011 model) I asked my dealer to swap my Garmin Sat Nav and Mount (Garmin 660 with Touratech lockable mount) from my old GS 1200 to this bike.

All fine except when I use the sound function. It is connected via an Autocom and I have a feeling it is the connection point via the Canbus plug that is the problem - has anyone experienced the same.

The reason I feel it is the Canbus connection is that I have an ipod and a 2 way radio system connected to the autocom - they are all powered by a std solder connection into the power socket wiring. The sound is crystal clear with no background noise. Yet the SATNAV gives awful feedback when the bike is running and it ramps up with engine speed. The background noise is terrible and drowns out everthing else, if I unplug the audio lead from the sat nav itimmediately stops and the sound to everything else is perfect. I have replaced the audio lead and tested 2 other leads and every one gives the same feedback. At the moment I ride without voice prompts (to do this I have to disconnect the audio lead because the feedback is still there even if the voice prompts are silenced) I feel it is power feedback from powering the SATNAV from the Canbus plug.

Before I rewire it to the front power socket wiring - has anybody else any other ideas?

Cheers
Rik

My set-up is as yours, & no problem, which may or may not help.

My power is taken off the CANBUS, from under the instruments, near the front suspension unit, by means of a BMW supplied lead.

I do recall when Autocom fitted my then new R1150RT, they were careful where they ran the leads to avoid interference from adjacent wiring.

Probably no help at all !

I had a 2010 RT (TC). When I swapped the Zumo 660 from the GSA to the RT, I connected it straight to the battery. It never worked properly when I had it through the canbus on the GSA.

Never had any issues whatsoever wired direct. It only draws power when the unit is in the Zumo cradle.

Back
Top Bottom