Doesn't feel very healthy. Any ideas?

RobA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Took the 2004 F650 GS (single, twin spark) for a spin today. I also took her out for the first time about a month ago after the winter but without any problem.

Today, I went from Banbury to Warwick. Stopped in the park for a wander. Returned to the bike, started ok. Went to Stratford Upon Avon and pulled into the bike parking area. Up to this point, the bike was running well, apart from one stop when I thought it was over-revving at standstill.

Then when I tried to start the bike again, couldn't get it to go. After about six goes, the battery went flat.

Asked three fellow motorcyclists for a push and eventually got it started.

But the bike ran very roughly. Every time I stopped it cut out but did start again. To keep it going and get me back to Banbury, I had to over rev it at every stop.

Now, any thoughts?

My initial thoughts were perhaps the battery is knackered (it's the original one from 2004) or perhaps the fuel has gone off over the winter.

Got home ok with a struggle. Filled the bike up with some new petrol. It did start again first time from cold but I suspect there is still a problem.

I look to your combined wisdom. Where do I start?

RobA.

Try disconnecting the battery or ECU for 20 mins.
Turn ignition on and wait for lights to go out, don't touch the throttle when you start it.

Thanks to Timolgra and Ghiribizzo for your responses. Replace the battery and filled up with some fresh fuel. Now running sweetly again. I suspect it was the battery rather than the petrol, but hey, all is well. Great relief. So thanks guys for your thoughts. RobA

Back
Top Bottom