VFR 750 Classic 87-89

motorrad

Reaction score
I've always fancied one of these VFRs. with the twin sided swing arm
Does anybody know anything about value and price, and reliability?

Of course It won't replace the 1100 but might give it a break on sunny summers day,

Seen this advert http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C284315

I'd appreciate some knowledgeable info,

Ta

A good one can be had for sub £1K.

Excellent value for money and the bike that saved Honda from potential ruin after the chocolate cams of the VF750.

Will be costly when it goes wrong but it's not often they do.

Exhaust system will cost both arms and one leg.

I ran one for a few years and it was one of my favourite bikes, and I have had plenty over the years. Better than the earlier FG/H models as it has 17" rims, better forks, adjustable screen and a few other changes. The only real issue was the exhaust as the downpipes and collectors were mild steel and rusted badly. Most will now have full MOTAD stainless systems.
Don`t believe Haynes when they say you have to remove swinging arm to remove rear downpipes as you don`t have to. Just remove shock and lower the arm.
They are a little more powerful and lighter than the later models. Some will scoff at the narrow rear tyre, but believe me on a pair of Pirelli Sport Demons they handle superbly. They are comfy as the bars are high compared to modern sports bikes.
Brakes are Nissin, same as the similar aged CBR600`s etc and are excellent. All VFR750`s are reliable, probably more so than the boxers I reckon. There was a mag feature years ago where they dismantled a used one with 100K on it and the amount of wear was minimal.

Just looked at the ad.
My old one had a GB sticker on the front mudguard in that location and a flip screen:eek:
If the plastics are excellent and it runs well I would say the price is OK. If on close inspection it has a few cracks/scuffs I reckon £1200 max
The beauty of these is that you could set off on a trip across the Alps with your mates on their latest sportsbikes and you wont be far behind. You will be a lot more comfortable though!

Ahhhhhhh. Once had a FG model before i wraped it around a ford fiesta,:D
Bought it in 87 with 1500 miles, wrote it off in 88 with 3500 miles but most of them were flat out:aidan (The troubles were good for one thing:D)
Mine was a ex demo that seemed rather quick:rolleyes:,

PS wheelied like feck!!!!

I think the uk first got the model on "D" plate. My jap import was on a "C" plate but restricted through airbox, carbs and exhaust. Minted thou for a bike of +10 years back in the late 90s. Cracking bike.....black and silver was mine. Great bike.
Looks well looked after by the photos - those whiter than white wheels. It's also on ebay. How long has he owned it for? What reciepts does he have? Don't be scared by the mileage if he's had it for years chances are it's been well looked after - home mechanic or not?
Engines are bullet proof if looked after. Suspension at that milage is prob the best bet to get some cash off. Motad exhaust is a good mod as most original systems will have rotted by now. I'm sure you'll get a couple of hundred off the price if you go and be enthusiastic etc. Usual things to look at - suspension as mentioned, chain and sprockets (£100), tyres (new but do they match). Check the bike charges (headlight) grows brighter when revved as regulator is a known fault.
Hopefully, buy and enjoy :))

Last edited:
One of the journos in MCN or Bike , cant remember which bought a cheap early one as a project and got a low cost replacement exhaust, didnt seem to cost him to much to sort out. Ran really well .

Me, I had an 88 750F, awesome bike but I preferred the lighter handling of my CBR600FH before it. The GPX750 that followed the VFR was a big let down :thumb

Back
Top Bottom