shimmy-ing at 70 -80

SMcGirr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dear Tossers, having had a GS for 5 years and now a new 2012 RT, I notice a bit of a wee wobbly feeling at 70 plus. Its there more often than not and even when the wind is light and doesnt appear screen height dependant. Its all a bit disconcerting after the GS which was rock solid at that speed. The tyre pressures are OK and its not worse or better with or without the top box. It doesnt really upset the handling but it ruins a nice otherwise smooth ride

I am wondering do they all do that and its just a case of getting used to it ?

Advice, comments solutions or general blather appreciated.

SMcGirr

Strangely enough, I have one today as a loan bike while my GSA is having some work done on it.

I rode it back from Oxford to Dunstable (40 miles or so) on occasion doing similar speeds and noticed none of the traits you mention. Seemed really steady to me, it had panniers but no top box.

I should be riding it back to the dealers tomorrow and will pay more attention and let you know if I notice anything, but certainly not today.

Good luck.

Thanks I will look forward to hearing how you get on

SMcGirr

I too replaced my GS with an RT and regularly cover 150+ mile business trips on all types of roads and in all conditions and have never noticed anything other than a rock steady ride at all speeds. I must admit that I was expecting it to be more affected by strong cross winds than the GS was but my fears, so far, have been unfounded.

A truly brilliant bike.

Ive done the same, 4 years on 3 GSA's and picked the RT up last week, only done a small motorway trip but it cruised at 90mph and rock steady.

I'm going to the ardennes on thursday 1 up and bringing the GF back with me so will have a better idea after that.

My 15000 mile 2010 RT has done it for the past 500 miles.

Checking the tyre pressures / Lowering the screen / replacing the well worn rear tyre all reduced it but it didn't go away completely.

Dick Lovett BMW repklaced the rear wheel bearings under warranty and now its almost completely gone.

I'm still tempted to check the swingarm bearings adjustment though.

Dear Tossers, having had a GS for 5 years and now a new 2012 RT, I notice a bit of a wee wobbly feeling at 70 plus. Its there more often than not and even when the wind is light and doesnt appear screen height dependant. Its all a bit disconcerting after the GS which was rock solid at that speed. The tyre pressures are OK and its not worse or better with or without the top box. It doesnt really upset the handling but it ruins a nice otherwise smooth ride

SMcGirr

I've not had this on mine. 2012? Get it straight back to your dealers mate and let them check everything out. It's more than possible that something hasn't been assembled right or is faulty. Have you got ESA on yours? If so, something wrong there could have a big effect, especially as the ESA II also alters the spring rate. Let us know what they say.

If you want to experiment a bit yourself, it is amazing how much difference you can make to these handling characteristics (sometimes) by experimenting with tyre pressures. If I remember rightly, the recommended pressures (solo; cold tyre) for front and rear is 2.2 bar and 2.5 bar respectively. Strangely enough, I've never ridden my RT at those pressures (must give it a try)! Mine have always been inflated to 2.5 bar front and 2.9 bar rear, the two-up and luggage setting.

Good luck mate - and use your BMW warranty :thumb

Having taken your advice I jacked the pressures up in the tyres to 2.5 and 2.9 bar with just me and what a difference ! It's like a different bike, now rolls into corners rather than falls in and the shimmy is gone as far as I can tell : I took it for a quick motorway blast just now. I hadn't noticed before, I think, because I was sticking to a gentle run in. Anyway thanks for he help and happy days !

Having taken your advice I jacked the pressures up in the tyres to 2.5 and 2.9 bar with just me and what a difference ! It's like a different bike, now rolls into corners rather than falls in and the shimmy is gone as far as I can tell : I took it for a quick motorway blast just now. I hadn't noticed before, I think, because I was sticking to a gentle run in. Anyway thanks for he help and happy days !

Wahey! Result! :D Very glad to hear it mate :thumb2

I jacked the pressures up in the tyres to 2.5 and 2.9 bar with just me and what a difference ! It's like a different bike, now rolls into corners rather than falls
Hmmmm, such a simple thing, I'll give it a try myself because sometimes my RT feels like its falling into corners, mind you, the tires are pretty much clapped out right now and need replacing :(

Trip to Vosges coming up, new tires, new tire pressure! what ever next lol

I had a little game.
Serve: Take bike into dealer for service.
Volley: Dealer does service and invariably lowers pressures to those recommended in handbook.
Winning shot: John gets home and raises pressures back to those recommended by tyre manufacturer (36/42psi or 2.5/2.9bar).
Game over.

HTH,

John

If it wasn't so damn difficult to get at the tyre valve on the back wheel. Happily I have one of those angle adaptors but they should have done the front wheel thing on the back too!

If it wasn't so damn difficult to get at the tyre valve on the back wheel. Happily I have one of those angle adaptors but they should have done the front wheel thing on the back too!

When it comes to tyre pressures I'd always try, in the first instance anyway, what the tyre manufacturer recommends, as opposed to the bike manufacturer.

The 36/42 psi setting is fast becoming a starting point across the various tyre manufacturers recommendations.

Agreed, and every Triumph I’ve look at has an angled filler fitted, at least on the rear wheel...

Agree with that, Nippy Normans to a set of 2 (the ones for TPC) ... I keep one in my RT's 'glove box' and one in the garage :thumb

Hmmmm, such a simple thing, I'll give it a try myself because sometimes my RT feels like its falling into corners, mind you, the tires are pretty much clapped out right now and need replacing :(
'Clapped out' my tires maybe, but putting the 'two up' tire pressure in them has transformed the handling, rolls in and out of corners just lovely now - If you haven’t tried 2.5 and 2.9 bar one up, do give it a try.

New tires and polish up this week while the cold returns!!

You can get the right angle valves from your Dealer,I fitted them to my old 1100rt when I changed the tyres.

Took my 1200rt out for the first time last week

SMcGirr

It had lain since last September. Just hit the button and off I went.
Noticed that It did not seem to handle as I remembered, wallowing & weaving a little, but I was rusty, with the winter layup, so attributed the handling to my being rusty.

Dumped bike in yard afterwards, and, next morning, noticed back tyre near enough flat.
I normally give the tyres a good kick after bike has been laid up, but this year the altzheimers must be getting to me, I forgot to.

Put air in tyres & took it for a ride afterwards. Amazing. My riding has improved immensely! Couldn't possibly have been the bike!

Myke

Back
Top Bottom