Recommend me roads between Lancaster and Berkshire

siwhite

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening All,

Early next month I'm riding my new-to-me GSA from it's current home on Lancaster to my home in West Berkshire.

Four hours on a motorway doesn't fill me with enthusiasm...

I have an overnight pass for a B&B / camping pod if needed - where would you go? I anticipate an overnight stay in either Wales or the Peak District. I have extremely limited knowledge of anything north of the M40 so would appreciate any suggestions!

I have a nice route from Sheffield to Berkshire, refined over the last year or so if that would help.

If you're overnighting in Wales, you best bet is to hammer down the M6 and swing right onto the M56 which takes you directly to the fun.

A 494 to DolGellau is good fun, from there A470 to Newtown, then the very wiggly A483 to Builth Wells.

Then take the A479/40 to Abergavenny, through to Ross and ultimately to Gloucester.

Take the ring round round it, and follow the A417 up Birdlip hill, then prepare for a bit of high speed work to Cirencester.

Come off and head through Fairford to Lechlade, still on the A417.

Stop at my house for a brew.

Pick up the 417 again, and head to Faringdon, then Wantage. From there I'm sure you know they way home!

350 miles and a lid filling smile. :thumb

Thanks Dave - huge help!

I've never looked at Wales roads from a motorcyclist's perspective before so it's all new. I've incorporated a lot of that into my route, but deviating slightly to include my digs for the night north west of Builth.

Are you far from the A417? A brew sounds champion!

6th April is the day after collection - shall I PM you the evening before to check your plans....?

If you're overnighting in Wales, you best bet is to hammer down the M6 and swing right onto the M56 which takes you directly to the fun.

A 494 to DolGellau is good fun, from there A470 to Newtown, then the very wiggly A483 to Builth Wells.

Then take the A479/40 to Abergavenny, through to Ross and ultimately to Gloucester.

Take the ring round round it, and follow the A417 up Birdlip hill, then prepare for a bit of high speed work to Cirencester.

Come off and head through Fairford to Lechlade, still on the A417.

Stop at my house for a brew.

Pick up the 417 again, and head to Faringdon, then Wantage. From there I'm sure you know they way home!

350 miles and a lid filling smile. :thumb

was going to suggest something similar but not going as far into Wales. I have a route on basecamp from my place in west London to Liverpool that goes M40-oxford then A3400 to Stratford, A422 to Worcester, A44 to Leominster then A49 to Liverpool. Much better than the motorway.

Dave, your route sounds great, I've just spent half an hour putting it into basecamp as an alterative longer route for the occasional trip up to liverpool. Cheers.

Nice route Dave.:thumb I might ride from Surrey to Touratech in Wales on Saturday, avoiding the motorway wherever possible. I know the ride to Lechlade from Reading, so will do the bit from Cirencester in reverse to get into Wales.:thumb:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom