Advise on Black Forest

Sot1200

Reaction score
Will be doing a trip to the Alps in June as I have posted here before starting from Venice through to Bled Slovenia and North to Austria, Garmisch, the the Volamberg region then south to Stelvio St Moritz, Lake Como and Andermat. On the way back will do the Dolomites. This is an 11 day trip so its tight and will most probably skip some parts of the route as well

The question is whether the Black Forest is worth a visit at the expense of any other region as its a bit off the travel route and will have to make a deliberate detour to see it.

Will I be missing out???

It's just trees but Touratech Niedereschach are worth a visit and you'll save up to 20% on UK prices.......!:thumb

Nice roads aswell and I like trees...........!

FP.:thumb

No, its just trees..

You've obviously been riding around with your eyes shut then Gundog. Stray away from the so-called m/c routes that you come across all over the web, even those that are published from renown sources because they are usually the get your knee down in the curves routes that admittedly are much liked by some, and there's a whole feast of chocolate-box villages to greet you, wonderful valley's and and and........

Oh, and there are a few trees as well of course. :D

............its a bit off the travel route and will have to make a deliberate detour to see it.

LOL, the Black Forest isn't exactly postage stamp size you know........it's big - very big and stretches from the south of Germany up to around Frankfurt. It's not the sort of place you can make a detour to and see it like you would a monument. ;)

Since myfirst trip there 3 years ago I have gone back each year on the way to or from the Alps.

It is about the size of the Wales, and not as action packed as the Alps (and about 1/10th of the size)

In my experience the Mid / North end is better and you can do a good job of seeing much of it in a week, and a few days will give you a good taster.

As ever I would recommend Pension Williams for location and value, on the edgs of the B500, but if your on a GS after you have ridden the best stretch (the first 30 odd miles south of Baden, it generally is not so good further south) you will want to turn off and check out the minor roads.

If its you sup of tea Baden has some good "Roman Spa's", we always take a day off the bike to use the free public transport and go for a splash at one before grabbing lunch in Baden and having a wander about. Good way to relax after many days in the saddle.

If you do spend time in the Black Forest area and are in the vicinity of Todtnau (south of Freiburg) don't miss the chance of a ride on the "Hasenhorn Coaster", Absolutely the best ride down the side of a mountain ever. It's like a bob sleigh on rails with wheels below and above the rails sp you can't "come off", Brilliant. We came down and immediately went back up for another go. My missus screamed all the way down !!. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmGA096IoMs&feature=related

Last edited:
It's like a bob sleigh on rails with wheels below and above the rails sp you can't "come off", Brilliant.

Oh yes you can as two of my friends have and still have the scars to prove it. That's why they put the braking signs there and the catch barriers on most of the bends. But yes, if one is in the area it's well worth a ride or two. A point worth noting is that guests staying 2 nights or more in the Black Forest are issued complementary tickets by their guest provider (issued by the Tourist Association) and this allows for free rides up a number of mountains, bus transport and a few other things as well. If one utilises everything that these tickets provide the accommodation comes in at almost nothing.

Since myfirst trip there 3 years ago I have gone back each year on the way to or from the Alps.

It is about the size of the Wales, and not as action packed as the Alps (and about 1/10th of the size)

In my experience the Mid / North end is better and you can do a good job of seeing much of it in a week, and a few days will give you a good taster.

As ever I would recommend Pension Williams for location and value, on the edgs of the B500, but if your on a GS after you have ridden the best stretch (the first 30 odd miles south of Baden, it generally is not so good further south) you will want to turn off and check out the minor roads.

If its you sup of tea Baden has some good "Roman Spa's", we always take a day off the bike to use the free public transport and go for a splash at one before grabbing lunch in Baden and having a wander about. Good way to relax after many days in the saddle.

Thank you all for the replies. Yes it seems that its a great passing to and from tha Alps if you are coming down from the north and looks to be a place that warrants more than a casual look of a day or two. I guess I will have to leave it for a later trip of the French Alps.

I would look into going to the Vosges in france - lovely area and great roads - avoid on weekends and public holidays though.

go for the route de cretes and find other local roads, much more fun.

Stop for a drink (or two) in the village of La Petite-Pierre N48.85865 E7.32080
The Hotel in the village centre is a biker meeting point, and the old village centre (shown bottom left in GE) is well worth a look-see and maybe grab a snack. 48°51'34.71" N 7°19'13.21" E

You've obviously been riding around with your eyes shut then Gundog. Stray away from the so-called m/c routes that you come across all over the web, even those that are published from renown sources because they are usually the get your knee down in the curves routes that admittedly are much liked by some, and there's a whole feast of chocolate-box villages to greet you, wonderful valley's and and and........

Oh, and there are a few trees as well of course. :D

LOL, the Black Forest isn't exactly postage stamp size you know........it's big - very big and stretches from the south of Germany up to around Frankfurt. It's not the sort of place you can make a detour to and see it like you would a monument. ;)

Frankfurt? It stops south Karlsruhe does it not? :confused: I wouldn't like to walk between those two cities :D

:thumb2 it does and you're right. Sorry, I'd just finished addressing a letter to someone in Frankfurt and obviously didn't clear it out of my head. :bow

If you'd been a proper GSer you would have just finished eating a Frankfurter :thumb2

I would look into going to the Vosges in france - lovely area and great roads - avoid on weekends and public holidays though.

go for the route de cretes and find other local roads, much more fun.

Can i ask how busy is gets at weekends as i could be there over a weekend mid june
Ta.

I think French Busy and UK Busy are a bit different.

I have ridden the B500 on a Sunday and found it reasonably good, a bit busier than in the week, but nothing compared to how any great biking road in the UK gets jammed on a nice sunny weekend.

On my first Alps trip I was warned about how commercial and busy the Julier Pass is, I rode it twice, and both times the traffic was what I would call very light on any A or B road in my part of the world.

Oh yes you can as two of my friends have and still have the scars to prove it. That's why they put the braking signs there and the catch barriers on most of the bends.

That's interesting Alan, just how did that happen. Did they part company with the "Sled", was there a mechanical failure or what.

Mechanical failure, part company with the sled...........no, not according to them.
In fact their tale only came out by accident. I ran into them in a coffee shop one morning and starting chatting like one does and told them about this great ride I chanced upon in Todnau. Like you, and probably more so considering our obsession with safety, I thought it was impossible for these cars to come off the rails, so I was somewhat surprised to learn of their own personal mishap.
By all accounts they were full gas into a bend (a macho thing - who needs brakes LOL) when the car left the rails and slammed into the safety barrier. Fortunately no serious injuries although visible trophies (scars) of the event are still in evidence. Read the instructions was basically the response they later received......brake at the braking points.
Here's my run down the hill filmed using my helmet camera (Drift HD170 Stealth) hand held. http://youtu.be/bqcPzKgjN2M?hd=1
We live not too far away so will definitely be giving this another go (or two ;)) over the summer.

Back
Top Bottom