2610 voice prompts

martinc.d

Reaction score
Hi All just a quickie,am looking at the above unit and would like to know can you turn off the voice prompts when using it on the bike ?
I am not to fussed about hearing them as i always wear ear plugs
Any tips or other hints welcome (have read most threads )
Thx,MD:)

I think that voice prompts are almost essential on the bike - they enable you to not have to look at the unit when in traffic. I also wear earplugs, but with the volume on 8, I can still hear the prompts OK (obviously through a speaker fitted in my helmet - it's not that loud :D :D )

Regards,

Charles

It's pretty easy: Press and hold the SPEAK key. A volume control (slider) will appear on the left side of the screen. Touch the slider and drag it to the bottom.

There is an illustration of this, along with more detailed instructions, on page 5 of the owner's manual.

If you purchase a dedicated motorcycle power cable for your SP 26xx, then you won't have to worry about the thing "speaking" at all - just don't hook up the two wires that carry the sound. Only bother connecting the 12 volt DC + and - wires.

PanEuropean

PS: I agree with you - the spoken voice is a distraction and a nuisance on a moto - much faster to just glance at the screen. If you ever want to see a preview of the "next turn" (the screen that normally appears along with the voice), just briefly touch the SPEAK key, you will then see the upcoming "next turn" screen, regardless of how far away from the turn you may be.

Pan

Does the "next turn" screen give you distance to "next turn" as well? I'm looking to get myself a 2610 for Christmas, and am paying more interest to these threads now!

Mark

PS There's some cracking roads in and around Luxembourg I found last weekend, wish I had a GPS to tell me where they were so I could go back :)

PanEuropean said:
PanEuropean

PS: I agree with you - the spoken voice is a distraction and a nuisance on a moto - much faster to just glance at the screen. If you ever want to see a preview of the "next turn" (the screen that normally appears along with the voice), just briefly touch the SPEAK key, you will then see the upcoming "next turn" screen, regardless of how far away from the turn you may be.

Yes, basically a little pop-up window appears on the right of the map with the turn directions, road name etc., together withe the distance to the turn, counting down (visibly and verbaly) until you actually reach the turn. It also gives you an approximate time to when you will reach the turn based on current progress etc.

I've only had my 2610 a month or so and only used it on the bike on Monday this week. On the bike it is fantastic, I used it without the sound as my headphone adapter (2.5mm to 3.5mm) has not yet arrived.

I work near Heathrow and live in East Surrey so I normally travel 44m arount the M25. I set the 2610 to take me home avoiding highways, in the shortest possible distance. Off I went and it was perfect, I used roads I have never been on before and the directions were timely and totally accurate, even to the point where you need to keep left or right for upcoming turns or feeds.

Go off route and it recalculates in seconds to keep you on track.

It got me home slower than the motorway, fair enough, but in 29miles instead of 44.

The only thing I had a problem with was the touch screen when wearing gloves. the main screen area was OK but the corners and edges were not always responsive.

I cannot recommend a GPSR enough, you won't be dissapointed.

But for which model? That you must decide yourself.

Jon.

:D

Jon

Thanks but that is the RIGHT answer. Now I'm running out of ideas NOT to buy one!

Mark

Markie,

Go for it the 2610 is a bargain at the moment.

Don't forget to add the mount and power cable.

I got the cable from GPS Warehouse for £26 ish and the Touratech mount for £66 ish. The Touratech mount is dear but is the business, rock solid. In this weeks MCN it is on the 1150GSA used by Ewan McGregor, he covered 19k using it!!

Cheers.

Jon

:D

Sorry people got to disagree about the voice prompts. I find them essential if you are going to concentrate on the road ahead. Just back from a 3k ride around spain and the 2610 performed faultlessly for the entire trip. However, passing through Madrid is not a place to start looking at screens and working out which exit you need. Its to dangerous. It also has an additional advantage if you are using bike to bike and only have the one GPS. When it bings to give you an instruction just press the PTT and the other rider can also hear where to go. Found this out with me bruv over the last two weeks, works perfectly. Also picked up a 1gig CF card in Andorra for £60 so on the whole a worthwile trip.

"Sorry people got to disagree about the voice prompts."
Hey - no apology needed, it's entirely a matter of personal preference.

For new users: Do keep in mind that you will see a large blue arrow on the left side of the screen whenever you are within 2 km of a turn. This arrow, plus the magenta track line overlaying your route on the map, will also help maintain your situational awareness.

PanEuropean

I agree with Gazza on the voice prompts :headphone

Not so much when you're in the Pyrenees or in the Highlands, but in Belgium or in south England where there are crossroads every 500 meters and lots of traffic, they are definitely useful.

Basically you don't need to look at the display until you hear something.

gazza said:
When it bings to give you an instruction just press the PTT and the other rider can also hear where to go. Found this out with me bruv over the last two weeks, works perfectly.

Excellent idea!

I assume that if you're riding through a very busy patch, you could just oik the PTT over to permanently transmit for a while.

:thumb

Greg

Greg Masters said:
Excellent idea!

I assume that if you're riding through a very busy patch, you could just oik the PTT over to permanently transmit for a while.

:thumb

Greg

Tried that Greg but for some reason the TK3101 seems to lock up if left in permanent transmit for more than a couple of minutes. Works fine for short periods. Noticed it first when out with bike trainees. Obviously some gubbins in the kenwood that has either a timer or thermistor to lock it out in case of accidental operation.

gazza said:
Obviously some gubbins in the kenwood that has either a timer or thermistor to lock it out in case of accidental operation.

I think it does have that, but I assumed it would go half-an-hour or so before it got too warm. Perhaps not!

Greg

Thanks for that Ben, thought it was around a couple of minutes or so.

Well Thanks all for the advice / info, i have ordered my 2610 (expansys £560 inc vat&p.p)awaiting delivery.
One thing i will say, it is great to be able to post threads on sites like these and get such good replys from folks with different views, help is never far away!!:D

Steve B said:
What make of card was it Gazza?

Steve B

Sandisk, used them in most of my cameras and never had a problem. Tried it in the GPS and appears to work perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom