Zeebrugge to Milan - 5-12 June (minus 2 days of rugby!!)

newboy

mechanical buffoon
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The Wirral - where the nice people live... Or Vanu
2 of us are riding our bikes to Milan from Zeebrugge in June to ref a charity tournament in Italy.
Interested to know how long you reckon (and is it possible) to get from the ferry at 8:45 on the morning to somewhere deep in Austria (like http://www.hochalmspitze.com) in 1 run...

Then we can tour the big strasse before heading down and round to Milan

We have from wed morning and have to be there latest Sat morning but better on Fri night....

So 3 days to play on way down and barring injury - 2 days to get back - but I hope to visit Andermatt again for a few hours :)

Thats a hell of a first days ride, if that were me, and I have done that exact journey to Johns place, I would be overnighting on the Luxembourg/German border area.:)

I regularly go to Mandello del Lario and go IJmuiden - Offenburg in one hit. Next day is an easy run through Switzerland/Lichtenstein and over the Splugen pass and Mandello.
IJmuiden- Offenburg is about 650km.
But you see a lot of dual carriageways and Autobahns.
Zeebrugge-Hochalmspitze? That's over 1100km. So I'd say no.
When did you last ride 750m+ in one day in UK?

It's possible but will be very unpleasant to cover such a distance in a day. You would probably want to take the next day as a rest day.

Strasbourg/Stuttgart are about as far as I would want to go in a day so that you can take a decent break a couple of times and have a decent meal and sleep ready for an early start the following day. That way you will enjoy the next part of the journey through the Alps rather than being dog tired just as the terrain gets interesting.

On the 'Turkey Trot' we did London to Milan in a day, so get your skates on :thumb

you can do it easily in a car with two drivers, on bikes with fuel stops etc you will be struggling, years ago we did Trier to the channel then Dover up to Northumberland.
It was near as dammit 700 miles and took from 7am to 10pm and was absolute hell with 120 mile fuel stops

by the way the ferry might dock at 8.45 in zeebrugge but in the past six trips we have never cleared the docks before 9.30, and still playing catch up with cars that were first off the ferry near brussels

Back
Top Bottom